Media Foundation for West Africa invites applications for the Next Generation Investigative Journalism Fellowship in West Africa in 2022.
The second edition of the NGIJ fellowship will admit twelve journalists from three countries in West Africa namely Ghana, Sierra Leone, and Liberia.
As a matter of fact, the fellowship affords young journalists the opportunity to learn from experienced facilitators in investigative journalism in West Africa. This will take place in a five-month intensive programme. The programme is meant to groom young journalists to pursue quality, critical, and accountability journalism. It is also meant to raise the next generation of critical investigative journalists in West Africa.
Worth of Award
Successful applicants will be taken through the investigative processes of
- developing a story idea,
- reporting, and
- presenting the findings in a complete and coherent manner for maximum impact.
The fellows will also be given practical field assignments.
An applicant should
- Be a young journalist between the ages of 20 to 30 years from Ghana, Sierra Leone or Liberia.
- S/he is expected to have just completed national service or be a student journalist currently in a Journalism or Mass Communication School.
- Similarly, their schedules should be flexible enough to allow for full participation in the fellowship in Accra, Ghana.
For Ghana, the following are encouraged to apply:
- journalists who come from the regions outside Accra and
- those who are in Accra but will be willing to work from their home regions after the training.
For Liberia and Sierra Leone, the applicant must be willing to travel and reside in Accra, Ghana for at least five months, for the period of the fellowship.
Furthermore, applicants must be available to attend training and assignments from July to November 2022.
How to Apply
Interested journalists should submit a
- letter of motivation stating why they want to participate in the fellowship,
- CV including two referees, and
- copy of any national identification.
The documents should be sent to the email: [email protected]
Deadline: Applications for the Next Generation Investigative Journalism should be sent no later than Wednesday, June 15, 2022.