The Press and Society Institute (IPYS) invites applications for the Javier Valdez Latin American Investigative Journalism Award in the USA in 2023.
The “Javier Valdez” Latin American Investigative Journalism Award, is aimed at stimulating professional excellence in this speciality.
The organizers want to encourage greater transparency from governments, businesses and the media. The award is open to all research topics on matters of public interest.
Worth of Award
In view of that,
Journalists can apply in their personal capacity or as a research team, with one or several works published in a communication medium in Latin America and the Caribbean, either in Spanish, Portuguese or English.
Research teams will designate a representative upon registration.
Works published between July 1, 2022 and June 30, 2023 , in print, radio, television or electronic media, certifying their issuance during that period. No media or companies compete nor are books admitted.
Investigations disseminated without a signature, or under a pseudonym, will be admitted with a certification of authorship issued by the medium. Associations, civil society organizations, academic institutions or the media can apply for one or more works by a journalist if they meet all the requirements of the bases.
It is important to note that Media or companies do not compete and books are not admitted for this award.
How to Apply
Materials will be sent in digital formats. In all cases, the organization will receive applications via email: [email protected] / [email protected] .
Applications sent physically to the postal address are not accepted.
- Along with the participating work, a digital photograph of the author and an Executive Summary of the research must be sent, which must develop the following information in no more than 2,000 words:
- Title, medium of publication, name and a brief resume of the author.
- Investigation disclosures, numbered.
- Methodological description of the research: explaining its origins, hypotheses, types of search and sources, the resources used and the time the work took.
- Problems of the investigation: Why was a journalistic investigation required to obtain the information? The social impact that the work had after being published.
Deadline: Works for the Javier Valdez Latin American Investigative Journalism Award will be received electronically until June 30, 2023.