The National Research Foundation in partnership with the Department of Higher Education and Training invite applications for the DSI-NRF Postgraduate Student Program in South Africa for the 2022/23 academic year.
The goal of the NRF is to
- create innovative funding instruments,
- advance research career development,
- increase public science engagement and
- establish leading-edge research platforms that will transform the scientific landscape and
- inspire a representative research community to aspire to global competitiveness.
The NRF promotes South African research and innovation interests across the country and internationally. Together with research institutions, business, industry and international partners, it builds bridges between research communities for mutual benefits that contribute to national development.
Worth of Award
The NRF minimum academic requirement for postgraduate funding is 65%. That is a minimum average of 65%
- for major subjects in the final undergraduate year of study for honours funding;
- at the honours level or final year of a four year degree for master’s funding; and
- at the master’s level for doctoral funding.
The entry age requirement is 28, 30 and 32 years or younger for honours, master’s and doctoral studies respectively, in the year of application.
The FCS funding will be awarded to South African citizens and Permanent Residents only, who are either financially needy (i.e., those whose combined household family income is less than or equal to R350 000 per annum). Or those living with a disability or exceptional academic achievers.
Scholarships are intended to support honours, master’s and doctoral candidates to pursue studies in all areas of Science, Engineering, Technology, Social Sciences, and Humanities.
How to Apply
Deadline: The closing dates for each level of study for the DSI-NRF Postgraduate Student Program are as follows:
- Honours Applications: November 20, 2022
- First-time Master’s Applications: July 08, 2022
- First-time Doctoral Applications: July 08, 2022
- Master’s and Doctoral Extension Support Applications: August 15, 2022