The Institute for Diversity and Inclusion in Emergency Management invites applications for the I-DIEM Lt General Julius Becton Jr Scholarship Challenge in the USA for the 2023/24 academic session.
The Lt. Julius Becton Jr. Scholarship will be presented to minority students in emergency management or homeland security-related fields of study at the associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels of study.
Acceptable fields of study include
- emergency management,
- homeland security,
- public health,
- public policy,
- environmental science,
- public administration,
- public policy,
- urban planning, or related fields.
Worth of Award
Eligible students will be awarded up to $5,000.00 towards tuition-related expenses for the academic year.
Qualified candidates should:
- Be a part-time (minimum 6 credit hours), or full-time student (9 or more credit hours
- Be enrolled in an emergency management or homeland security-related field of study
- Have an overall Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher
- Display interest in improving disaster outcomes for underserved and/or marginalized populations
How to Apply
Eligible students must submit an online application including the following information:
• Two (2) Letters of Recommendation (1 Academic; 1 Personal)
• Video Prompt (1-minute)
Topic: What is your career goal in emergency management and how does this scholarship help you achieve your aspirations?
• Essay (Max 250 Words)
Topic: How do you plan on improving disaster outcomes for underserved and/or marginalized populations through your current or future work?
Deadline: Applications for the I-DIEM Lt General Julius Becton Jr Scholarship Program should be submitted by 11:59 pm EST on June 2, 2023.