AFS Intercultural Programs invites applications for the Global STEM Accelerators Program for Young Women Worldwide for the 2023/24 academic session.
By providing an opportunity for girls from around the world to explore their interests in STEM, its possible to start to change the trend of females facing a challenging set of circumstances in fields that are traditionally dominated by men. It will also open up more possibilities for the perspectives of women in the greater goal of reaching a sustainable future.
The 12-week all-virtual Global STEM Accelerators exchange program will run in two cohorts in 2023:
Cohort 1: 13 May – 6 August, 2023
Applications for Cohort 1 open on 1 February, 2023.
Cohort 2: 26 August – 19 November, 2023
Applications for Cohort 2 open on 15 May, 2023.
Worth of Award
- Scholarship winners will participate in a 12 week all-virtual program. This comes with a focus on emerging and critical STEM skills and fields, global competence education, and social impact.
- Scholars will enrich their STEM knowledge and skills through interactive, hands-on curriculum, while developing critical global competencies. These competencies should include problem-solving, analytical skills, intercultural understanding, and the ability to build bridges across cultures.
- The program culminates with team projects and presentations that offer potential solutions to real-world challenges, with an emphasis on climate change and the energy transition.
- Scholars who complete the program earn the Advanced Certificate on Global Competence for Social Impact, awarded by AFS and the University of Pennsylvania Center for Social Impact Strategy.
Applications for the 2023 Global STEM Accelerators will be open to young women from anywhere in the world who meet the following criteria:
- be 15-17.5 years old at the program start date
- have the ability to participate fully, both online and in a classroom setting, in a program conducted entirely in English
- show interest in STEM, sustainability, and global competencies
- have a computer, smartphone or other digital devices to access the virtual program content
- show curiosity and willingness to interact with diverse global peers and explore new cultures
- have an integrated webcam and microphone for participation in online dialogue sessions
- have a stable internet or wifi connection
Note that if internet or technology accessibility is an issue, AFS may be able to help.
Furthermore, talented young women from all backgrounds who reflect the diversity of populations around the world, particularly underrepresented populations, and students with high financial need, are strongly encouraged to apply!
How to Apply
Click here to start your registration.
Deadline: Applications for the Global STEM Accelerators Program are ongoing.