TWAS and the S.N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences in Kolkata, India are offering fellowships to young foreign scientists from developing countries who wish to pursue research towards a PhD in physical sciences.
- TWAS-SN Bose Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable at the S.N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences in Kolkata, India for studies leading towards a PhD degree in the physical sciences for four years with the possibility of a one-year extension.
- The Centre carries out the following research activities:
- Linear and Non-linear spectroscopy, Ultrafast molecular processes and spectroscopy, Ultrafast dynamics in biological macromolecules and magnetization, Ultrafast laser-induced processes, Soft condensed matter systems of chemical and biological interests, mesoscopic physics, ionic liquids, multi-component liquid mixtures, supercooled melts, supercritical fluids, bio-nano interface, nano-magnetism, magnonic crystals, micromagnetic simulations, Nanomaterials in general, and Physics of Correlated oxides, low dimensional systems, magnetic shape memory alloys, dilute magnetic semiconductors, multi-ferroic materials, thin films of metals and oxides, electronic, magnetic and structural properties of complex materials, superconductivity, strongly correlated electronic systems, quantum many-body physics, micromagnetic and monte carlo simulation of static and dynamic properties of nanomagnets, theoretical study of thermal conductivity, Ab initio plane-wave pseudo-potential calculation, strongly correlated electron systems, electronic structure and transport through nano-materials.
- Quantum field theory, mathematical physics, cognitive science, granular physics, non-commutative quantum mechanics, statistical physics, non-linear dynamics, turbulences, lattice gauge theories, representation theory of lie groups and coherent states, quantum optics, black holes, constrained dynamics, quantum gravity, quantum spin systems, collective behaviour and emergent phenomena, explosive percolation, complex networks and critical phenomena.
- Cosmology, Relativistic Astrophysics, ionospheric science, Astrochemistry.
Worth of Award
- S.N. Bose will provide a monthly stipend to cover living costs and food.
- The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
- Free on-campus accommodation will be provided.
- The monthly stipend does not cover comprehensive health insurance.
- The Centre does, however, deduct a small contribution towards a Contributory Medical Scheme. The benefits are partial reimbursement of Doctor’s fees, medicines and/or hospitalization costs, if any, and only for costs incurred in Kolkata.
- The reimbursement structure is along the lines of the Central Government Health Scheme (CGHS) of the Government of India.
Candidates for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year;
- be nationals of a developing country (other than India);
- must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in India or any developed country;
- be employed at a university or research institution;
- hold a Master’s degree in physics, mathematics or physical chemistry;
- be accepted by a department of the S.N. Bose National Centre. Requests for preliminary acceptance must be directed to the Dean (Academic Programme), S.N. Bose National Center for Sciences, Kolkata by e-mail: [email protected] or fax: (+91) 33 2335 3477 (a sample Acceptance Letter is contained in the application form which can be downloaded from the link at the bottom of the page under “related content”);
- provide evidence of proficiency in English.
How to Apply
- Applicants must submit an Acceptance Letter from a department of the S.N. Bose National Centre when applying, or by the deadline at the latest. Without preliminary acceptance the application will not be considered for selection.
- Applications for the TWAS-SN Bose Postgraduate Fellowship Programme can ONLY be submitted via the online portal. A tutorial on how to use the online application form is available below for download.
- Please be advised that applicants may apply for only one programme per calendar year in the TWAS and OWSD portfolio. Applicants will not be eligible to visit another institution in that year under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes. One exception: The head of an institution who invites an external scholar to share his/her expertise under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes may still apply for another programme.
Deadline: The deadline for receipt of applications is July 31, 2020