TWAS-USM Postgraduate Fellowship is awarded to young scientists from developing countries (other than Malaysia) who wish to pursue studies towards a PhD degree in the natural sciences at the Universiti Sains Malaysia.
Worth of Award
• TWAS-USM Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable in the departments, institutions and laboratories of the Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) for a period of up to three years for studies leading to a PhD degree in the natural sciences.
• The academic year in Malaysia begins in September and the second semester in February of each year, following the year of application. Candidates will enrol for their PhD at a USM department/laboratory and must observe USM’s academic calendar and be ready to start their fellowship on the first day of classes/courses.
• USM will provide a standard monthly allowance which should be used to cover living costs, such as accommodation and food
• The language of instruction is English.
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
• Be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year.
• Be nationals of a developing country (other than Malaysia).
• Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Malaysia or any developed country.
• Hold a Master’s degree in a field of natural sciences.
• Provide an official Preliminary Acceptance Letter from the Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS) USM to TWAS. Requests for Preliminary Acceptance Letters must be directed to the Dean, Institute of Postgraduate Studies, USM who will facilitate assignment of a host supervisor. In contacting the Dean applicants must accompany their request for a Preliminary Acceptance Letter with ALL the following documents: copy of an updated CV, a short write-up of research proposal (maximum 5 pages), scanned copies of certificates, academic transcripts (certified true copy of Bachelor and Master degree certificates) and related credentials, referee letters and a scanned copy of the front page of their publications, via email to Prof. Othman Sulaiman: [email protected] and [email protected]
• Provide evidence of proficiency in English.
• Be financially responsible for any accompanying family member.
How to Apply
- Applicants must submit the Preliminary Acceptance Letter from the Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS), USM when applying to TWAS or by the deadline at the latest. Therefore, please apply for the Preliminary Acceptance Letter to the Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS), USM well before 15 September. Without Preliminary Acceptance Letter, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Reference letters: Referees must send signed letters as attachment via e-mail directly to TWAS and USM. The subject line must contain: TWAS-USM/PG/candidate’s surname. Alternatively, letters should be sent by post in sealed envelopes. Only signed reference letters can be accepted.
- Applicants for the TWAS-USM Postgraduate Fellowship Programme should send their application to TWAS and USM (by email).
Deadline: The deadline for receipt of applications to TWAS is September 15 each year (September 15, 2014 this year).
Click here for details and to apply online