The Center for Fiction in partnership with the Jerome Foundation, the Amazon Literary, and donors invite applications for the Center for Fiction Susan Kamil Emerging Writer Fellowships in the USA in 2022.
The Fellowship offer grants, editorial mentorship, and other opportunities to early-career New York City-based practitioners who are at a critical moment in their development as fiction writers.
Worth of Award
During the one-year Fellowship period, grantees receive:
- A grant of $5,000
- The opportunity to have their manuscript revised and critiqued by an experienced editor
- Access to write in the Writers Studio
- The opportunity to meet with editors, authors, and agents who represent new writers at monthly dinners
- Two public readings as part of its annual program of events
- A professional headshot for personal publicity use
- Inclusion in an anthology distributed to industry professionals
- Tickets to its First Novel Fête and/or Annual Awards Benefit
- Complimentary admission to all Center events
- A 25% discount on writing workshops at the Center
- A workshop on reading as performance, conducted by Audible
- Applicants must be current residents of one of the five boroughs and must remain in New York City for the entire year of the fellowship.
- This program supports emerging writers whose work shows promise of excellence.
- Applicants can be of any age, but must be in the early stages of their careers as fiction writers and will not have had the support needed to achieve major recognition for their work.
- Note that students in degree-granting programs are not eligible to apply.
How to Apply
- Please submit a fiction writing sample, not exceeding 7,500 words, as a double-spaced Word document (.doc or .docx). The submission must include page numbers.
- The writing sample may be either a novel excerpt or one complete short story.
- If you write primarily “flash fiction” or “short shorts” (1,000 words or less) you are permitted to submit multiple stories as long as the total word count does not exceed the previously stated limit.
- Please do not include any personal or identifying information on your writing sample.
- When your submission has successfully uploaded, please email a PDF or jpeg scan showing proof of residency to [email protected].
Deadline: The application window for the Center for Fiction Susan Kamil Emerging Writer Fellowships close on May 30, 2022 by 11:59 PM ET.