Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, Inc. (CBCF) invites applications for the NREI John R Lewis Social Justice Policy Fellowship Program in the USA in 2022.
The Fellowship is designed to give young, Black professionals the opportunity to work in Congress. It also provides the Foundation to address social justice and racial equity issues that affect the Black community.
Worth of Award
While working in Congressional Black Caucus member offices, Fellows will
- gain invaluable legislative experience as they engage in the development of public policy initiatives,
- attend briefings,
- conduct research,
- write speeches, and
- develop rapport with key leaders all in the areas of social justice.
As a matter of fact, in the Center for Policy Analysis and Research, Fellows will work under the NREI Director and in cooperation with other stakeholders to
- conduct policy analysis,
- research, and
- data collection with the goal to disseminate research findings and relevant information to advance NREI’s mission.
Fellows during their term may also organize social justice forums and brain trusts, serve as experts in their fields, and issue briefs, fact sheets and other publications related to social justice.
To be considered eligible for the NREI John R Lewis Social Justice Policy, you should have
- COVID Vaccination
- U.S. citizenship or a permit to work in the U.S. for the duration of the program
- At least five years of community activism or grassroots organizing in a leadership position OR a graduate/professional degree completed prior to the fellowship start date
Without a doubt, you must also show
- Familiarity with the federal legislative process, the U.S. Congress, the Congressional Black Caucus, and its members, and related policy
- Superior analytical skills, outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice either through public policy, professional experience, or community-related activism aimed at improving the living conditions for the African American community
How to Apply
It is important to note that for the online application, the following items will be requested:
- 2 Essay Question Responses
- 2 letters of recommendation, submitted electronically (hard copy letters will not be accepted)
- Resume listing extracurricular activities, honours, employment, community service, and special skills (2-page limit)
In like manner, you must provide
- A cover letter discussing your academic and professional background, and explaining your interest in the fellowship, how it fits into your career plans, and any experience that would make you highly effective in this position (2- page limit)
- A recent photograph suitable for publication (i.e., a graduation photo or other professional-quality photograph in which the subject is formally dressed)
Deadline: In conclusion, the completed online application must be submitted by 11:59 pm EST, May 6, 2022.