The Australian National University invites applications for the Chappell and White PhD Scholarship in the 2023/2024 academic session.
Once every three years the Research School of Earth Sciences may offer a PhD scholarship known as the Chappell and White PhD Scholarship (“the Award”).
The objective of the Award is to support high-achieving domestic and international PhD students who are conducting research in the areas of petrology and ore petrology.
Funding for this Award has been provided by Professor Bruce Chappell and Professor Allan White.
Professor Bruce Chappell’s career at ANU spanned more than 30 years, from 1960 to 1997. In 1967 he graduated with an ANU PhD and was awarded an ANU DSC in 1990. His sustained research contributions were recognised with many international awards including election to Fellowship of the Australian Academy of Science.
Professor Allan White was a member of the Geology Department at ANU from 1960 to 1971. He was an undergraduate student of the famous Australian geologist and Antarctic explorer, Professor Sir Douglas Mawson. White left ANU to establish the Department of Geology at La Trobe University.
Worth of Award
$34,000 per annum.
In addition to the fortnightly stipend, the scholarship also provides:
- Travel and Removal allowances for students relocating to Canberra to commence their research program;
- Thesis reimbursement;
- Dependant Child allowance (International students only);
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) (International Students Only); and
- Paid medical, maternity and parental leave.
The Award will be available every three years to a prospective or continuing student who is:
- a domestic and/or international student; and
- enrolled or enrolling full-time in a program of study for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Earth Sciences and are conducting research in the areas of petrology and ore petrology at the University; and
- holds a Bachelor’s degree with first-class honours, or a Master’s degree with a research component or equivalent from a recognised university.
How to Apply
- Applications shall be called for with a closing date as set by the Research School of Earth Sciences.
- The closing date and application instructions will be advertised on the University scholarship webpage.
Deadline: Application for International Students closes August 1, 2023.