The Department of Environmental Engineering at the Technical University of Denmark invites applications for a position as PhD student on the topic: Optimization of greenhouse gas mitigation at landfills.
The PhD project addresses methane generation and emission at landfills, which significantly contributes to climate change. Different mitigation systems have been implemented at landfills to avoid methane emission to the atmosphere. The project focuses on further development of methodologies for optimizing mitigation systems at landfills, such as gas utilization, flaring and systems based on microbial methane oxidation.
The objective of the PhD project is to further develop methodologies for determination of systems efficiencies – both gas utilization systems and bio-mitigation systems – and develop protocols for improving the mitigation efficiencies for systems. The project will also optimize bio-mitigation systems to obtain high methane oxidation rates through optimized gas distribution systems, smart management of infiltrating water and look into the longevity of compost-based bio-mitigation systems.
The work is expected to include:
• Review of existing literature on the topic as well as material collected through contact to relevant problem owners
• Documentation and improvement of utilization efficiencies at selected landfills with established gas utilization systems
• Optimization of bio-mitigation system configuration for an existing pilot-scale system
• Evaluation of the longevity and need for maintenance of a full-scale bio-mitigation system
The work is expected to lead to improved documentation methodologies for efficiencies of mitigation systems established at landfills as well as improved optimization strategies for reaching higher efficiencies of implemented systems. The results will be published in 3-4 papers in international scientific journals, and 2-3 contributions at international conferences. The thesis is expected to consist of a description of the main achievements and the manuscripts prepared for the international journals.
Worth of Award
The salary and appointment terms are consistent with the current rules for PhD degree students. The period of employment is 3 years.
Candidates should have a Master’s degree in engineering or a similar degree with an academic level equivalent to the Master’s degree in engineering. The applicant should preferably have qualifications within the following areas:
• Knowledge about waste management including landfill processes
• Background in chemistry and soil chemistry
• Experiences in about field work, sampling and analysis.
The applicant must have analytical skills, research potential, be well-organized and enterprising and possess good interpersonal skills needed to collaborate with the involved university departments and private companies. The applicant must have a driver’s license, must master English and preferably also Danish.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted as one pdf file containing all materials to be given consideration.
The file must include:
• A letter motivating the application (cover letter)
• Curriculum vitae
• Grade transcripts and BSc/MSc diploma
• Excel sheet with translation of grades to the Danish grading system (see guidelines and excel spreadsheet here)
Candidates may apply prior to obtaining their master’s degree, but cannot begin before having received it.
Deadline: Application closes on June 1, 2014
Click here for details and to apply online