The Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung (KAS), in collaboration with Uganda Martyrs University (UMU), invites applications from citizens of either Uganda or South Sudan for the scholarships for Bachelor and Masters degree programmes. The scholarships are targeted towards aspiring future leaders across a range of social, political, and economic fields. Applicants will have to prove their leadership potential in order to be considered for the scholarship. A total of 12 (twelve) scholarships are available and shall be awarded on a competitive basis.
The scholarship is in two disciplines, namely:
- Local Governance and Human Rights (Bachelor and Masters Degree),
- Democracy and Development Studies (Bachelors Degree).
Worth of Award
- The Scholarship Package For successful candidates, the scholarship shall cover the cost of tuition and the residential workshops as charged by the university.
- The student is expected on his/her own or through other sources to meet the cost of transport, books, research and other expenses on the study.
- Successful candidates from South Sudan shall have the cost for international air or bus tickets to Uganda for the residential workshops (also) covered under the scholarship.
- A reimbursement shall also be made for the cost for one international return ticket for the graduate admission test conducted at the University for Master Students –but only when a student has been successfully selected for the scholarship. The student shall however still meet all costs of inland travel either in Uganda or South Sudan.
- Applicants must be citizens of either Uganda or South Sudan and should not be more than 30 years for bachelors programmes, and 35 years for masters programmes;
- Applicants must have proof of academic excellence in previous levels of education.
- Applicants shall provide a motivational letter indicating why they desire to undertake the particular course;
- applicants holding leadership positions or portray potential for future leadership may have an added advantage;
- Current or past employment in relevant programme areas and/or engagement in social, developmental and/or political sphere(s) may have additional advantage;
- Priority will be given to applicants with genuine financial needs;
- Continuing students are eligible to apply if they fulfil the above criteria.
How to Apply
- Future students can apply for scholarships even before they are admitted, but a scholarship may only be granted after confirmation of admission at UMU.
- Note: KAS is not responsible for admission to Uganda Martyrs University. This process is handled exclusively by the University.
- A personal statement (letter of motivation) providing the following information:
- An explanation of the reason for applying for financial support from KAS
- A statement of the applicant’s academic goals and interests
- A description of the relevant work experience (or social political engagements) related to the chosen programme of study
- An outline of the applicant’s career objectives and how the study programme will help in the achievement of these goals
- A complete and up-to-date curriculum vitae (maximum2 pages);
- Copies of relevant transcripts and certificates;
- Proof of admission to UMU or evidence of having applied for any of the
- programmes under the scholarship scheme;
- Proof of current or previous employment, preferably copies of appointment
- letters and/or evidence of past or current engagement in social, developmental or political sphere(s) (do not submit certificates of workshop attendance!);
- Two letters from referees (professional or academic), signed and sealed.
- Please note: Complete applications must include all the above stated requirements. Applications missing any of the requirements will not be considered.
Complete Applications should be addressed to:
The Country Representative Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftungand be delivered as follows:
Either by email to:
Or by post to
P.O. Box 647, Kampala
Or hand delivered to
Plot 51A, Prince Charles Drive, Kololo
Please note: Interested candidates are encouraged to contact Uganda Martyrs University as soon as possible to seek information about admissions for the different programmes.
For information on admission to UMU, contact: The Registrar, Uganda Martyrs
University, Tel: (+256) 038 410611, or by Email: [email protected]
Deadline: The deadline for the receipt of applications is May 30, 2014.. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.