The Vienna PhD School of Informatics, Vienna University of Technology, Austria, seeks applications from international students for the 2014/2015 scholarship. Students have to attend the school for three years. During the first two years they have to follow courses, whereas in the third year they exclusively work on their PhD thesis. The program is a full-time one.
The Vienna PhD School of Informatics involves an intense period of supervised study and research, culminating in the submission of a thesis. The duration of the PhD School is three years. The degree is awarded to candidates who, through original investigation, make a distinct and significant contribution to knowledge in their field of specialisation.
The PhD School at Vienna University of Technology (TU Vienna) admits no more than 15 PhD students per year. Among the admitted students, some may receive a scholarship (subject to budgetary constraints). This decision is taken separately. No tuition fees have to be paid by students of the PhD School. The first study year of the PhD School started in October 2009.
Worth of Award
- A selection of the admitted students may receive a scholarship amounting to EUR 1,000 per month to cover the cost of living (subject to budgetary constraints).
- Scholarships for the Vienna PhD School of Informatics are available for Austrian as well as international students. Students working at TU Vienna are encouraged to apply, up to a defined number. However, they are excluded from funding.
- The PhD School is open for national and international students (not limited to the European Union), with an objective of a 50% share of international students.
- The Faculty of Informatics at the Vienna University of Technology invites applicants from all countries to its “Vienna PhD School of Informatics”.
- Furthermore, a women’s quota of at least 40% is intended (averaged over 3 years).
- Qualified female applicants are explicitly encouraged to apply. Preference will be given when equally qualified.
- Applicants should have obtained a master’s degree with distinction.
- Admission is based on a competitive examination of the applicants, guaranteeing a high level of quality.
- After a first screening of applications, shortlisted students will be contacted for interviews.
- Austrian residents will be invited for face-to-face interviews, applicants from abroad will have phone interviews.
- The outcome of the interviews forms the basis for the final acceptance.
- Applications for the admission to the Vienna PhD School of Informatics are accepted from candidates who will have finished their thesis / studies by 01.10.2014
How to Apply
- The call for applications for the study year 2014/2015 will be opened soon.
- Applications must be entered using the online application.
The following documents have to be uploaded (all in PDF format) during the online application process:
- Identification Document / Passport: Provide a scanned copy (a PDF file) of the identification document you indicated in the ‘Personal Information’ section.
- Academic Degrees
- Candidates should submit their degree certificate (Master degree or higher) of a post-secondary education institution including course transcript. The submitted documents should be issued by the Universities in English language.
- Students who will not be able to submit their degree certificate by 02.06.2014 have to provide a statement by their thesis supervisor declaring that the student will complete his/her degree by 01.10.2014. In such cases, admission will be ‘conditional’ and applicants must be able to present the relevant degree certificate by October 2014.
- Summary of your diploma / master thesis: A short summary of the thesis in English (maximum 2000 characters) structured as follows: motivations of the thesis, methods of the investigations, final results.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Motivation Letter: Please explain why you would like to join the Vienna PhD School of Informatics.
- English knowledge certificates: Any certificates attesting knowledge of the English language (TOEFL, IELTS or CAE. For details please refer to the information mentioned below). These tests are NOT required of native English speakers, or if the primary language of instruction at the university attended was English. If the language of instruction was English, please submit a document confirming this.
- Research proposal: If you have a research proposal, please upload this document together with the other documents. Note: This document is not mandatory.
- Letters of recommendation: Two letters of recommendation have to be provided. At least one of your referees should have a scientific background. Reference letters have to be uploaded by the referees (not by the applicants!). The detailed process is described during the online application process.
- After Uploading your documents:
- After having entered the online-application, it has to be printed out by just clicking on the “print-out” button. Then it has to be signed, scanned and sent (as an attached document in PDF format) by email to the following address [email protected]
- The subject heading of this mail has to be as follows: 11421#your application ID number print-out
- English Language Proficiency: Non-native English speakers need to ensure that their English proficiency meets the PhD School’s requirements. Therefore, candidates need to demonstrate an adequate level of English language that will enable them to benefit fully from their courses.
- English Language Qualifications
The PhD School accepts the following tests/scores for English language qualifications:
- TOEFL score of at least 550 paper-based, 217 computer-based, or 81 internet-based.
- Please use the code number  when indicating our institution as a score recipient.
- IELTS score 6.0 or higher
- CAE score B or higher
Deadline: The dates for the programme are as follows:
- Application deadline: June 2, 2014
- Interview period: June 23,2014 – Jun2 25, 2014
- Notification of acceptance: June 26, 2014
- Start of the program: October 1,2014