The Otsuka Toshimi Scholarship Foundation seeks applications from developing countries for the 2014/2015 scholarship awards. The scholarship is for a period of one year: from April to March. Recipients are eligible to apply to renew their scholarship for up to two additional terms, for a total scholarship period of three years.
Applicants must be majoring in medicine, pharmacology, nutrition, physical education or business administration in an official degree program at a university or graduate school in Japan.
Worth of Award
- The scholarship is an annual sum of Yen 2.0 million, Yen 1.5 million or Yen 1.0 million
(Amount of scholarship will be determined according to the assessment by the selection committee.)
- Annual sum of Yen 500,000 for applicants receiving scholarships or benefits from other sources.
- Scholarship are generally disbursed twice annually on predetermined dates in August and December. Funds will be deposited directly into the recipient’s designated bank account.
Scholarships are grants, not loans, and are not repaid.
- Note: Scholarship recipient’s failure to make satisfactory academic progress or engagement in unethical or immoral behavior as a student, as well as violation of laws or regulations, may result in reduction or withdrawal of scholarship.
- Applicants must be citizens of a country in Asia, the Middle East, Africa or citizens of Brazil, Russia, or the Czech Republic.
- Applicants must be majoring in medicine, pharmacology, nutrition, physical education or business administration in an official degree program at a university or graduate school in Japan.
- Applicants must be highly motivated, possess an outstanding academic record, and demonstrate personal integrity.
- Applicants must be involved in creative or innovative research.
- Applicants must have an international perspective and demonstrate potential leadership skills to serve as bridges between Japan and their home countries in the future.
- Applicants must meet all other requirements stipulated by the Foundation.
- New applicants: Applicants who have not previously received scholarships from the Foundation
- Renewing applicants: Applicants who received a scholarship from the Foundation for the previous fiscal year
How to Apply
- Applicants should complete the scholarship application form and mail it to the Foundation, along with the following application documents and supporting documents.
Otsuka Toshimi Scholarship Foundation Office
Otsuka Group Osaka Headquarters Building
3-2-27 Otedori, Chuo-ku, Osaka
- All materials supplied by the applicant will be used solely for the purposes of carrying out their activities.
- Application forms and supporting documents will not be returned.
- All submitted documents except the letter of recommendation must be hand-written in Japanese by the applicant.
Application forms completed in English will be accepted but must be accompanied by a Japanese translation. For more information, please refer to Application FAQ.
- Downloadable Application Form (Reference Form and Letter of Recommendation included)
- Application form (form provided by the Foundation)
- Personal reference (which means personal information included with the application form)
- Letter of recommendation (included with the application form)
- One color photo (The photo should be 4.5 x 3.5 cm and show the applicant facing forward from the waist up. It should be no older than six months. Attach the photo to the application form.)
- Student registration certificate (issued on or after April 1, 2014)
- Academic transcript (The transcript must include courses, credits, grades, evaluations, and explanations. Pass/fail records alone are not acceptable. Send a transcript current as of the most recent year for which level evaluations or grade evaluations were made.
- Certificate of resident (Issued on or after April 1, 2014. A copy of the certificate is not accepted. If basic information is omitted, the certificate will be rejected. A copy of the alien registration card and certificate of foreign resident registration are also invalid.)
- Other scholarships (yes or no; if received for the period from April 2014 to March 2015, send copies indicating the scholarship provider, period, scholarship amount, and other specifics.)
Deadline: The application period for fiscal 2014 is from Tuesday, April 1, to Thursday, May 15, 2014, inclusive. (Applications must be received by the Foundation within this period.)
Click here for more details and to download forms