The school of Engineering and Digital Arts, University of Kent, UK, seeks applications from prospective postgraduate candidates for the 2014/15 PhD Studentship. The studentship will focus on ‘Development of Image Analysis applications for Biomedical Research”.
Specifically, the project will focus on understanding how cells control their shape to facilitate essential functions and how cells modify growth patterns in response to their external environment (eg a developing organ within the body), as failure in doing so can lead to numerous developmental and congenital disease states as well as cancer.
This project will provide the successful candidate with the rare opportunity to develop multidisciplinary skills in automation and system design (Engineering) as well as in biological experimentation and molecular cell biology (Biosciences). In addition to gaining experience in state of the art live cell imaging techniques, they will have the opportunity to interact with industrial partners to explore integrating algorithms into commercial software.
Worth of Award
- This scholarship provides a stipend at Research Councils UK standard Home/EU rates, (currently £13,863 per annum) and covers Home/EU tuition fees.
- The successful candidate will be appointed as Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) and will be expected to undertake some teaching commensurate with their experience.
- A first class or good 2.1 honours degree in a relevant degree.
- The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate a basic understanding of (or is willing to learn) data analysis programmes (eg Matlab) and an interest in developing engineering solutions for Biology problems.
- Open to Home, EU, and overseas applicants (overseas-fee paying students would need to cover the fee difference).
How to Apply
- Applicants are to apply online (via their website), specifying the research topic “CMP studentship”.
- For informal enquiries contact: [email protected] (Biosciences) or [email protected] (Engineering).
Deadline: application closes Friday April 25, 2014
Click here for more details and to apply online