Rotary Scholarships for Water and Sanitation Professionals is designed to promote long-term productive relationships between Rotarians and highly skilled water and sanitation professionals in their communities.
Rotary scholars will benefit from the support they receive through regular contact with sponsoring Rotarians from their home country and the opportunity to interact with Rotarians in the Netherlands.
Worth of award
- TRF awards scholarships of approximately €25,000, paid directly to UNESCO-IHE.
- Funding to cover additional costs (including international travel) related to participation in the academic program will be coordinated by UNESCO-IHE.
- The scholarship is fully funded by the Foundation and UNESCO-IHE; the club’s time and resources can be used to support the water and sanitation activity you will plan together in your community.
- After graduating, scholars’ expertise will be put to work improving water and sanitation conditions in their own community with a project the scholar and sponsoring Rotarians will design and implement together.
- In addition, Rotary Foundation alumni are part of an extensive network of fellow Rotary scholarship recipients and Rotarians worldwide. Becoming involved with a local Rotary club and the alumni association allows scholars to stay connected to Rotary’s global community and resources.
- Students eligible for this scholarship must be provisionally admitted to one of the following degree programs at UNESCO-IHE (joint programs are not eligible):
- MSc in Urban Water and Sanitation
- MSc in Water Management
- MSc in Water Science and Engineering
- Students must also live or work near a Rotary club.
- Scholars are selected in a competitive process. Candidates are chosen based on their ability to have a significant, positive impact on global water and sanitation issues during their career.
- Successful applicants will have a strong academic background, significant and relevant professional experience, and demonstrated leadership in the community.
How to apply
To apply, you must follow these steps:
- Obtain admission to a Delft-based specialization in one of the following UNESCO-IHE MSc programs (joint programs are not eligible):
MSc in Urban Water and Sanitation
MSc in Water Management
MSc in Water Science and Engineering
- Use Club Finder on the RI website to find the Rotary club(s)/district nearest to where you live/work.
- Choose the Rotary club(s)/district to which you will send your application.
- You must submit your application through the Rotary club(s)/district. Applications submitted directly to TRF by scholarship candidates will not be considered.
- Contact the Rotarians directly and request to attend one of their club meetings. Because this is a new type of Rotary Foundation scholarship, some Rotarians may not be familiar with it. If this is the case, it is your task to inform them of Rotary’s strategic partnership with UNESCO-IHE and spur their interest in acting as your scholarship sponsor.
- Complete the scholar application form included in this tool kit and submit it to your local Rotary club(s)/district, along with the following items:
- Copy of your current résumé or curriculum vitae
- Copy of your admittance letter from UNESCO-IHE
- If the Rotarians wish to sponsor your scholarship, ask them to complete the application online and to email any questions they have to Rotary Foundation Grants staff at [email protected]
If you have any questions about applying, feel free to ask via email: [email protected]
Deadline: Completed applications must be received by TRF from sponsor Rotarians no later than May 15, 2014 of the year in which studies begin.