The Volkswagen Foundation-funded research project “Sensitive Provenances” investigates the provenance of human remains from (proto-)colonial contexts in two collections at the University of Göttingen. This project aims to investigate the origin of human remains, the circumstances of acquisition, their transfer to academic collections, their use for research and teaching as well as their contemporary socio-political meanings.
Alongside research, the project is establishing contacts with representatives of regions from which these human remains originate, discussing their future handling and initiating restitution processes. The project focuses on human remains from Oceania and Africa.
Worth of Award
- The scholarship holders will receive a monthly stipend of 2.100 €.
- Pending on individual circumstances, a replacement allowance and a family and childcare allowance can also be made available.
- The travel costs to and from Göttingen will be covered.
- During the research stay in Göttingen, the scholarship holders will receive support in different organisational and content-related matters.
- Volkswagen is open to all kinds of small-projects that propose new perspectives, expand or challenge what it does.
- The topic, questions, research methods and interests of the fellows are deliberately kept open in order to facilitate broad perspectives on collections of human remains, their colonial histories and contemporary meanings and treatment.
- Queries from the fields of History & Archives, Museum Studies, Social & Cultural Anthropology, Biological Anthropology, Indigenous Studies, and related areas are welcomed.
- It also invites proposals for artistic research and interventions that critically engage with the main themes of the project.
How to Apply
In order to apply, please send the following documents to Dr. Christian Vogel
- Cover letter (specifying the motivations and interests of the candidate)
- A description of the proposed project/activities for the period of the scholarship (max 1000 words)
Deadline: Applications for the Volkswagen Short Time Fellowships for Junior Scholars will be considered on a rolling basis until March 01, 2022.