The Center for Evolutionary Chemical Biology, Department of Chemistry at the University of Copenhagen is offering a fully funded PhD scholarship starting within 4 months.
The scholarships are awarded under the prerequisite that the applicant is found qualified and that the project is to be carried out in an internationally recognized and active academic environment.
- In the project the candidate will apply organic chemistry including solid-phase syntheses to improve and expand our platform for development of new agonists for G-Protein Coupled Receptors.
- The focus of the project is to synthesis the potential agonists by iminium ion based peptide chemistry using advanced organic synthesis and spectroscopic analysis.
- Within the project both well established and new reactions will be explored including 2+3 cycloadditions, transition metal catalysis and Mannich type reactions.
- The developed reactions will be applied in generation of combinatorial compound libraries and screened towards a range of G-Protein Coupled Receptors. The developed agonists may serve as potential future medicine and biomolecular tools.
- The project will be conducted in collaboration with a team of biologists, chemists and engineers. Several PhD studies can be hosted within this project area why we welcome everyone to contact us regarding this particular position as well as future positions.
Worth of Award
- The position is for 3-years (or 4 years in a 4+4 form) and is carried out in accordance with Agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC) on salaried scholarships.
- The minimum starting salary is DKK 300,175 plus a pension contribution of DKK 44,460. Supplements can be added according to qualifications. Information about working conditions and taxes is available at www.workingconditions.ku.dk and www.ism.ku.dk
- A prerequisite for obtaining the position as a PhD scholar is that you must be enrolled as a PhD student at the Faculty of Science, University of Copenhagen. This is according to the rules in “Ministerial Order on the PhD Study Programme and on the PhD Degree no. 18 of 14 January 2008”. Successful candidates will be requested to formally apply for enrolment as a PhD student at the PhD School of Science, University of Copenhagen and to start their enrolment not later than 1st August 2014.
- The call is open to both Danish and international applicants. Normally, we will expect applicants to have obtained an MSc degree in Chemistry, but it is also possible to enroll candidates at the 4+4 scheme with a 3-year BSc degree and 1 MSc year behind them.
- However, this will involve additional years of study, a midway qualification exam, and lower wages for the first two years.
- The main criterion for selection will be the research potential of the applicant and the final selection of successful candidates will be made by the Head of the Center for Evolutionary Chemical Biology, based on the recommendations made by the evaluation committee appointed for the program.
Key criteria for the assessment of candidates
- A master´s degree within chemistry or pharmacy
- Professional qualifications relevant to synthesis and characterization of organic molecules
- Qualifications within organic and preferably solid phase chemistry
- Any previous publications
- Relevant work experience
- Other professional activities
- Language and writing skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Marks obtained during the first year of study on the master program (only relevant for applicants applying for a 4-year scholarship).
How to Apply
- The application must be submitted in the application form by clicking “Apply online” below.
- All application must include the following appendices (do not enclose other appendices than the here mentioned).
- Appendix 1: A reasoned letter stating the applicant´s interest and perceived participation in the specific project.
- Appendix 2: Brief Curriculum Vitae of the applicant incl. the applicant´s former work and scientific experience (max 3 pages).
- Appendix 3: Documentation of the applicant´s qualifications: degree certificate/ transcript of grades, any authored peer reviewed publications.
- If an applicant has not yet completed the degree prior to the deadline and can provide sufficient documentation that the degree will be obtained within two months of the deadline such an application will be considered on equal terms.
- Transcripts of the grades obtained must be submitted and the final contract.
- All applications will be processed by an expert assessment committee appointed by the department.
- This is done according to The Ministry of Science, Technology and Development, Executive order no. 284, April 25th 2008 regarding the appointment of academic staff at the University. The applicants will be informed of the composition of the evaluation committee and will receive the part of the evaluation that concerns him/her.
- PhD students who are already enrolled and carrying out a PhD project cannot apply for this scholarship.
Deadline: Application closes on May 1, 2014
Applications received after the deadline or with insufficient documentation or otherwise not complying with above requirements will not be considered.