The DLGS – Dresden Leibniz Graduate School, Germany, is jointly run by the Technische Universität Dresden (TUD), the Leibniz Institute of Ecological Urban and Regional Development, Dresden (IÖR), and the Academy for Spatial Research and Planning, Hannover (ARL).
Worth of Award
- The DLGS offers Doctoral Fellowships for up to three years. Applications are reviewed once a year.
- Successful candidates will be communicated on the worth of the award
- Admission to DLGS is without regard to age, race, gender, handicap, religion or nationality. Selection is based on academic qualifications and on applicant’s potential to succeed.
- Applications from outside Germany are particularly welcome.
- All applicants must be fluent in spoken and written English (in general confirmed by some form of official certification) and be comfortable working in teams.
- Successful applicants must take up residence in Dresden in order to be present regularly / daily at DLGS premises during working hours.
- Fellowship holders must comply with the regulations for a doctoral degree issued by the relevant faculties of the Technische Universität Dresden.
- Excellent graduates (holding an M.A., M.Sc. or equivalent, and a master’s thesis graded good or equivalent, corresponding to 2 or better under Germany’s grading system in Spatial Planning and Development (including City and Regional Planning, Urban Regeneration, Landscape Planning, Traffic Planning), Geography, Economics, or Environmental Sciences.
- No more than four years should have passed since the applicant gained his/her master level degree.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to submit an outline of their project proposal. This must include the following:
- Working title of the proposed doctoral thesis (with reference to the topic number as described in major research topics
- Detailed description of the proposed project (maximum 13 000 characters incl. blank spaces), i.e.
- Current state of research (problem relevance and literature discussion)
- Research questions, objectives and hypotheses
- Methodology to be applied
- Own experience regarding the proposed project
- Short explanation how the proposed doctoral thesis is related to the research issues of DLGS and which theoretical and methodological contributions are expected
The application has three steps:
Step 1 – DLGS Registration
To begin the application process you need to register.
Once you have completed your registration, you will receive notification by email that your registration has been accepted. This email will contain a link to validate your registration and allow you to continue with your application.
Step 2 – Completion of online form
All documents listed below must be submitted to complete your application, including:
- The filled-out Application Form, including an outline of your doctoral proposal (please checkDescription of major DLGS Research Topics and Requirements for the submission of a dissertation proposal). Official transcripts of master’s certificates and other supporting documents must be uploaded to the online application system. If master’s certificates are not available before application deadline, you are requested to upload transcripts of records or mark sheets. Applicants from non-English speaking countries should supply evidence of their proficiency in written and oral communication in the English language.
- Personal statement, describing your academic background, research experience and career goals. This is a very important part of your application. Please take the time to communicate to the DLGS Selection Committee what your interests are and how they correspond to the DLGS research profile.
- References: List the names of two (2) recommenders. At least one of the recommenders must be a university professor. Recommenders should know you well, be familiar with the field of study you are pursuing and be able to evaluate the quality of your work. List only those individuals who have already agreed to write a letter of recommendation on your behalf. Please note that we will contact the recommender you list for additional information as soon as you have been pre-selected for the programme.
Step 3 – Submission
Confirm the truth of your statements and that you will conform to all DLGS regulations. Then complete the application process by pressing the ‘Submit’ button. You will receive an automated email response informing you that your application has been received. Incomplete applications will be discarded, so please ensure that your application is complete and correct, with all relevant details and appendices. Applications submitted by fax, email or mail cannot be considered.
- The DLGS fellowship selection is a two-stage process. The first of these is a review of the application material, including your academic transcripts and your detailed research proposal. If your application meets DLGS criteria, you will progress to the next stage: an invitation to take part in interviews (via Skype or telephone) with the members of the DLGS selection committee and a potential supervisor from the TU Dresden.
Deadline: deadline for submissions is September 15, 2014. You won’t be able to provide additional supporting documents after that date.