Dr. Eduard Gübelin Association for Research & Identification of Precious Stones invites applications for the 2014 Dr. Eduard Gübelin Research Scholarship, an annual grant to be allocated to an innovative research project in the field of gemology.
The scholarship is directed at MSc/PhD students or post-doctoral researchers in the fields of earth sciences (mineralogy, geology, geochemistry), crystallography, chemistry, physics, material sciences, archaeology, biology, and related fields. The successful project proposal has to be truly innovative, with demonstrable novel thinking; it must venture into new areas, test new concepts and methods, and hence contribute to the advancement of gemmological knowledge.
Worth of Award
- This could entail the use of its assets, resources and knowledge database, including access to analytical equipment and samples from the Gübelin Reference Collection, as well as support and collaboration with its research staff.
- The overall annual value of the scholarship is CHF 30,000 (USD 33,000).
The scholarship is available to students and researchers at MSc, PhD or post-doctoral level.
- In order to qualify, the minimum requirement for applicants is a BSc degree in earth sciences, chemistry, physics, material sciences, or another exact science.
- The successful recipient of the grant, i.e. the applicant, must be a person, not an institution or company.
- However, applicants are encouraged to submit project proposals that involve collaboration with a university or another research institute. Applicants may be no more than 40 years of age.
- Applications are welcome from eligible individuals of any nationality.
- There shall be no employment relationship between the scholarship recipient and the Dr. Eduard Gübelin Association for Research & Identification of Precious Stones, the Gübelin Gem lab or any other entity of the Gübelin Group; as such, the Association shall not be liable for social security costs.
How to Apply
- Applicants for the Dr. Eduard Gübelin Research Scholarship are required to provide personal details as well as information about their academic achievements.
- All entered and uploaded data will be stored by Dr. Eduard Gübelin Association for Research & Identification of Precious Stones for the purpose of processing the application. The submitted data and information will not be passed on to third parties, except to Gübelin Gem Lab and to the members of the Scientific Committee.
- The Association, Gübelin Gem Lab and other entities of the Gübelin Group will use certain information on the successful recipient (such as name, previous achievements) and a brief description his/her proposed project for press releases and other PR purposes. This form may only be used to make an application for the Dr. Eduard Gübelin Research Scholarship.
- The Association reserves the right to delete application data without prior notification, if necessary
Deadline: application closes on June 30, 2014.
Click here for details about applying for the Eduard Gübelin Research Scholarship