The International Center for Advanced Studies at RWTH Aachen University invites applications for the Käte Hamburger Kolleg Aachen Cultures of Research Fellowships in Germany in 2022.
The topic Cultures of Research is positioned where the fields of philosophy, sociology and history interface with natural science and technology. The overall focus of the Center’s work is on transformations of science and technology towards complexity, life-likeness and emergence. It is particularly interested in digitalization of research (simulation, artificial intelligence, machine learning) for studying complex systems. Such as climate change, energy revolution, biologization, sustainability), in participatory arrangements between science and society. This is also demonstrated in investigating histories and varieties of cultures of research.
Worth of Award
- Fellows will join the international center for a maximum period of 12 months.
- The fellowships provide a full grant commensurate with applicants’ level of professional experience and working space in fully-equipped offices. It also provides logistical support and access to the interdisciplinary research landscape and research labs at RWTH Aachen University.
- Fellows who take unpaid leave during their fellowship will receive financial compensation in the form of a stipend. Alternatively, the center would pay for a teaching replacement at the fellow’s home institution.
- The center seeks to create a stimulating intellectual environment among the resident research community. For this reason, fellows are expected to routinely conduct much of their work from Aachen during their fellowship.
- Because residency in Aachen is required, the center can support fellows in the search for accommodation.
Applications by candidates from
- the humanities, social sciences and STS to explore scientific and technological transformations;
- natural, life and technical sciences to explore complex systems; and
- arts, art history, science journalism and scientific illustration to explore the mediation and representation of complexities and complex findings in science and technology are encouraged.
- Female researchers and scholars from the Global South are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must have a completed PhD degree with above average grades in one of the participating disciplines.
How to Apply
All applications should be made online via the official website.
Deadline: The deadline for applications for the Käte Hamburger Kolleg Aachen Cultures of Research Fellowships is December 31, 2021.