The U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs invites applications for the Academy for Women Entrepreneurs (AWE) Cohort 3 in Uganda in 2022.
The Academy, in support of the White House-led Women’s Global Development and Prosperity Initiative (W-GDP), will equip women with the practical skills needed to create sustainable businesses and enterprises. AWE is committed to providing women with the knowledge, tools, and networks that they need to turn their ideas into a successful business.
Through facilitated online learning, women in Africa, Latin America, the Caribbean, as well as Papua New Guinea and Spain will further their business skills, network with mentors, and see their ideas into reality. AWE seeks to promote collective economic prosperity and global stability by creating a holistic, inclusive learning community to advance the development of women with brilliant ideas into successful entrepreneurs.
Worth of Award
The Academy for Women Entrepreneurs Cohort 3 provides business training for women to
- acquire new business knowledge and skills from the facilitated Dreambuilder program.
- learn from their peers (other entrepreneurs) and a curated list of speakers and SHONA Experts.
- understand the fundamentals of developing and scaling a business.
- get exposure to US models for business development.
It also provides capital, i.e.
- access to funding from the United States African Development Foundation (USADF)
- access to funding from the SHONA Loan Facility, investing 12-month uncollateralized loans of between USD 1,000 (Ugx. 3.5 million) – USD 10,000 (Ugx. 35 million)
Yet again, the Cohort provides networks for women to
- join the US Embassy Network including alumni of US government exchange programs, other AWE alumni, local American business experts, business experts from the Ugandan branches of American companies and others.
- have access to markets.
- have access to additional Business Development Support services, including SHONA’s programs.
Target Women Entrepreneurs include those
- Based in Kampala, Kabarole, Mbale, Lira and surrounding districts
- aged 25 – 40 years
- with 1 – 5 years of business experience
- who own or manage a business that is for profit and legally registered either with Uganda Registration Services Bureau (URSB) and/or local authorities.
- who have the potential to expand and grow their business with support
- that are fluent in English
- that are computer literate and have reliable access to an internet-connected computer or smartphone
Target businesses include
- Kampala district: Operating in the Creative Sector including but not limited to: Advertising & Marketing; Architecture; Art & Crafts; Design: Product, Graphic & Fashion Design; Film, TV productions, TV, Video, Radio & Photography; Publishing; Music, Performing & Visual Arts; Galleries; IT, Software & Computer Services, for Kampala district.
- Kabarole, Mbale & Lira districts: Operating in the technology sector or whose businesses utilize technology for a significant aspect of their work, including digital sales, marketing, payments or in their operations.
How to Apply
All applications for the Academy for Women Entrepreneurs Cohort 3 should be made online via the official website.
Deadline: December 17, 2021.