The University of Dar es Salaam School of Law in cooperation with the University of Bayreuth invites applications for the TGCL LLM Study Programme for East African Lawyers in Tanzania for the 2022/23 academic year.
TGCL offers aspiring lawyers and law students from the Partner States of the East African Community highly specialized Master of Laws (LLM) and PhD study programmes. Its graduates are qualified to take over leading positions in the East African region in the fields of law, economy, culture, politics, and administration. Expectedly, they are also able to take over leading positions in national as well as in regional and international organizations.
Against the backdrop of increasing globalization and regionalization, it provides interdisciplinary educational approaches that unite theory and practice. The courses offered focus on East Africa Community law and Comparative Regional Integration law. Furthermore, the programme gives students insights into German law and European Union law. In addition, the students are trained in Transferable Academic Skills to support them at strategic points of their research.
Worth of Award
The TGCL will award scholarships to applicants from EAC Partner States only, which will cover:
- the tuition fees for the LLM programme at the TGCL
- a cost of living stipend of 2,880 EUR for one year
- an accommodation subsidy of 360 EUR for one year
- reasonable health insurance for one year
- a research allowance lump-sum of 460 EUR
- TGCL invites applications from candidates from the East African Community Partner States i.e. Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda.
- The minimum requirement for admission to the LLM programme is a Bachelor’s degree in law (LLB) with a minimum GPA of 3.0 or its equivalent from a recognized higher learning institution.
- Candidates who have received their last University degree more than six years ago at the time of the application can be admitted as self-paying students but do not qualify for scholarships.
- The language of instruction at the University of Dar es Salaam School of Law in English. Those who are not conversant with it should not apply.
- Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
How to Apply
The applicant must register online through the TGCL website using the online application form provided, and submit the following documents electronically:
- signed curriculum vitae (please use the Europass CV template,
- one-page letter of motivation
- recent passport size photo
- letter of recommendation by a University teacher
- release letter from your employer (if you are employed)
- proposal of the intended research (please see the annexed guidelines).
You will also provide the data page of the passport or any other proof of identity
- All relevant certificates (birth certificate, secondary education academic certificates, academic transcripts, certificates of legal or other professional education (or provisional results for applicants who would have just completed their LLB studies); in the case of documents not written in English, an official translation should be attached.
All applicants must apply at both portals; TGCL and DAAD portal.
- TGCL Scholarships
- In-Country/In-Region Scholarships
Deadline: The application deadline for the TGCL LLM Study Programme is December 15, 2021.