Africans are invited to apply for the 2014-2015 Bayreuth International Graduate School of African Studies (BIGSAS) PhD scholarships. The BIGSAS is funded since 2007 by the German Research Foundation as part of the Excellence Initiative of the German Federal and State Governments.
Six additional PhD candidates will be admitted for the session beginning October 1, 2014 of which three will be funded.
Worth of Award: BIGSAS offers EUR 1,200 per month for the period of three years in additional to covering your fees.
BIGSAS is open to candidates whose dissertation projects fit into one of the Graduate School’s NEW subject areas:
- Culture and Technology in Africa
- Media in Africa
- Development Economics in Africa
How to Apply
Applicants are required to submit the following documents (in English, French or German is accepted) through the online application system (The working language of BIGSAS is English).
- Project proposal: (including the aims of the dissertation, a detailed work and time schedule for the project, 10 pages at a max. and an abstract of the proposal./Optional: Please include your name, page number and an explanation of the file on each page)
- Letter of Motivation: (1 page, explaining why you apply for BIGSAS)
- Copy of your written Master’s or equivalent thesis
- Two letters of reference: (Authors need to be from the applicant’s academic background and mentioned with title and university/institute)
- List of academic publications (if applicable)
- Curriculum Vitae (showing your academic progress and qualification(s) in detail)
- Secondary School Graduation Certificate / Higher Education Entrance Certificate
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent degree including transcript of records
(e.g. Licence ou Maîtrise, a certified copy is requested)
- Master’s Degree or equivalent degree including transcript of records
(e.g. DEA or DESS, a certified copy is requested)
NOTE: Clearly indicate in your application that you wish to be considered for the BIGSAS scholarship
Do you still have questions? Email: [email protected]
Deadline: Application closes May 15, 2014
Click here for more about the scholarship
Click to access the online application portal