Canterbury Christ Church University seeks international students to apply for the 2014/15 International MPhil/PhD Scholarship. The scholarship is normally for a period of three years, unless the candidate fails to attain to PhD status.
The continuation of the scholarship into the second and successive years is conditional upon satisfactory reviews, which take place each academic year. The first review takes place after six months, and each successive review at one year intervals thereafter. Payment of the scholarship is normally made monthly, at the beginning of the month.
Where registration extends beyond three years due to interruption, the payment of the scholarship for the remaining period cannot be guaranteed and will be dependent on available funds.
Worth of Award: Successful applicants for full-time PhD scholarships will be awarded a stipend of £11,700 pa and free tuition for three years.
Applications from both Overseas and EU students are invited across a range of subjects and themes:
- Education (professional identities; curriculum innovation; inclusion & social justice; auto/biography and narrative; faith, belief & values; children, families & communities).
- Applied Childhood Studies : (parenting and family well-being, early childhood (birth to 3), looked after children)
- Health & Social Care (allied health professions; nursing & midwifery; public health)
- Arts & Humanities (applied linguistics; English literature; history; theology & religious studies; music; media & cultural studies, performing arts).
- Social & Applied Sciences (biological sciences; business & management & finance; computing: criminal justice; geography; psychology; politics & international relations; sociology; sport & exercise science; tourism studies).
Please be aware that the application process is very rigourous and can take up to six months from application to registration.
Acceptance onto research programmes will be in accordance with the following criteria:
- A suitable academic background. You will be expected to have a relevant degree of at least an Upper Second Class Honours (2:1) and two academic references
- A successful interview
- That the University can provide appropriate supervision
- That the resources available (time, equipment, fieldwork expenses, library access) are sufficient to permit completion of the research
- That this research topic is aligned with the University’s research priorities (in the case of University funded scholarships)
- For International students, compliance with the UK Border Agency current regulations for Tier 4 visa students.
How to Apply
- Complete the application from and proposal form online (see link below)
- Request references from your referees.
- Email your application forms to the Graduate School.
Applicants may consult with the relevant academic department or faculty to help determine a viable research project and may get help from a prospective supervisor to develop the Proposal.
Guidelines for the MPhil/PhD and Masters by Research proposal
When writing your proposal you should:
- Enter text under the numbered headings and within the boxes
- Answer the questions precisely
- Not exceed the word limit for each section
- Demonstrate evidence of precision and scholarship and a feasible project
- In the literature section, do not write a literature review, but provide the information required, which will be based on your knowledge of areas and references which you will consider in your research.
- The Proposal should be a coherent and realistic statement of intent which shows clearly how the different elements of your proposed research will fit together. There should be a definite coherence governing the relationships between your research question(s) and the rest of your strategy. It is fully appreciated that the research project may develop in ways you may not be able to precisely define at this stage. It is therefore hoped that you can express your planning as negotiable intentions and contingencies where this is the case. You should avoid general statements which could apply to any research proposal in your area.