The Leiden University Excellence Scholarship programme is aimed at academically outstanding individuals from non-EU countries to do a master’s in the Netherlands.
Worth of Awards
The awards are in five categories as listed below.
Platinum: Covers the tuition fee minus the home fee (that is the overseas fees) and an allowance of €10,000 for living costs
Gold: Covers the tuition fee minus the home fee
Silver: Covers 75% of the tuition fee
Bronze: Covers 50% of the tuition fee
Ivory: Covers 25 % of the tuition fee
The number and type of award of the scholarship depends on the budget available for each Faculty department. The type of award has no reflection on the students’ academic level of excellence.
- Non-EU/EEA (international) students enrolling in a Leiden University master’s degree programme starting September 2012 or February 2013 ( All MA, MSc and LL.M programmes as mentioned on the website Master’s programmes in Leiden)
- All nationalities enrolling in the following programmes starting September 2012 or February 2013:
– Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in Air and Space Law
– Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in European and International Business Law
– Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in International Tax Law
– Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in Public International Law
– MSc in International Relations and Diplomacy
- In his or her prior academic education abroad, the applicant must have achieved excellent study results which are relevant for the programme for which the student wishes to enroll. As an indication, the student will be among the top 10% for the relevant programme followed abroad
- The applicant will hold a non-EU/EEA passport and will not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans (“Studiefinanciering”)
- Scholarships will not be awarded to applicants who have already obtained a Leiden University master’s degree
- Students who are granted a Leiden Excellence Scholarship must comply with and confirm in writing their agreement with the terms and conditions attached to the scholarship prior to the granting of the scholarship.
How to Apply
To apply for the scholarship, you should write a letter of motivation (in Word) of a maximum of 500 words, in which you indicate why you believe you should be considered for this scholarship. The Word document should then be attached on the scholarship page in your online application for the master’s programmes for which you are applying.
It is possible to submit applications for more scholarship programmes simultaneously. However, it is not possible to obtain more than 1 scholarship from Leiden University for the same study programme.
If you have already submitted your online application for admission to Leiden University, but would still like to apply for the LExS scholarship, we kindly request you to submit the LExS motivation letter to the Scholarships department (e-mail).
Deadlines: March 1, 2012 for September entry, April 1, 2012 for Law School, and October 1 for February 2013 entry
For more information, and to apply, visit their website by clicking here.