The University of Ghana invites applications for the MIASA Tandem Residential Fellowships for African Researchers for the 2023/2024 academic year.
The Maria Sibylla Merian Institute for Advanced Studies in Africa (MIASA) is dedicated to research in the Humanities and Social Sciences. It has ‘Sustainable Governance’ as its central topic. Its main thematic corridors are conflict and sustainable peace, democracy and environmental transformation.
MIASA is committed to reduce global asymmetries in knowledge production, to promote female scholarship and to bridge cultural divides. This is why the institute offers time and space for supporting innovative academic projects of top international quality.
Furthermore, MIASA serves as a hub for exchange, networking and collaboration amongst leading researchers from Germany, Ghana, Africa, Europe and elsewhere in the world.
Worth of Award
- Fellows may be eligible for a post adjustment to compensate for the difference in the cost of living based on a case-by-case justification.
- Those without employment receive an individual monthly grant.
- For fellows from outside Accra, MIASA provides accommodation (or an equivalent accommodation allowance of up to 1,500€/month) and reimburses travel costs.
- In addition, a contribution to support research undertaken at MIASA can be granted to all fellows upon application to its directors, It is worth 250€ max. per fellow per month.
- A tandem residential fellowship at MIASA is comprised of two researchers – one from Africa and one from Germany.
- They apply as a team for working together on a particular research topic, addressing MIASA’s overarching aims.
- The call is open to scholars (both on junior and senior levels) who have been awarded their doctoral degree at least three months before the start of the fellowship.
How to Apply
Applications must include the following information:
The front page with general information on the applicant (max. 2 pages) including:
- Title, name (last, first), e-mail address, link to web page.
- Date of doctorate.
- Current position/affiliation, institution and business address (name of institution/city/ country).
- Research field.
- Title of joint tandem fellowship project.
- Abstract of the joint tandem fellowship project (max. 150 words).
- Dates for the joint tandem fellowship at MIASA for which you apply.
- The two most important reasons why you apply for a residential fellowship at MIASA.
Your Project proposal should include (max. 5 pages):
- Project title (max. 50 characters)
- Abstract (150 words)
- Aims, theoretical framework and methodology
- Work and time plan (note: the fellowship only offers a max. of 250€/month research costs for each of the two tandem fellows and requires them being present at MIASA)
- Innovative potential, originality and relevance of the project
- Added value of spending time at MIASA and the University of Ghana as well as of conducting a research project as a tandem team
- Bibliographical references (max. 1 page in addition to the 5 pages of the proposal)
- CV in tabular form (max. 2 pages for each candidate)
Deadline: The application deadline for the MIASA Tandem Residential Fellowships is August 31, 2022, 11:59 pm UTC.