Australian National University (ANU) invites applications for the Australian Research Council Discovery Project Scholarship for the 2021/22 academic session.
A PhD student with the equivalent of a First Class Honours or Master’s degree in physical chemistry, physics, or an equivalent discipline to participate in an Australian Research Council Discovery Project on unraveling the dominant drivers of ion specificity is sought after.
This exciting PhD project involves collaboration between teams in the Research School of Physics at the ANU, The University of Newcastle, and Flinders University. The student will have a unique opportunity to contribute to new knowledge in the fields of colloid and interface science and soft condensed matter. In particular, they will participate in an experimental program to better understand the fundamentals of ion-specific effects, in particular how ions partition at interfaces. Ion-specific effects are ubiquitous in soft matter systems including biology and in a diverse range of industry-relevant and commercial fluids so improved fundamental understanding will have a wide impact.
Worth of Award
Stipend: $28,092 pa (2020 rate) for up to 3.5 years, plus benefits.
- Domestic and international candidates are eligible.
- Candidates must have the equivalent of an Australian Bachelor degree with First Class Honours (or equivalent) or a Master degree (with a significant research component) in Physical Chemistry, Physics, Engineering, or equivalent.
- You must be able to demonstrate the capacity to undertake independent research.
How to Apply
- Applicants should email Professor Vincent Craig directly at [email protected], to express interest.
- In your email include a cover letter of no more than 1 page expressing your motivation to apply for this position, your CV, and a copy of your academic transcripts with all subjects studied and grades obtained.
- ANU values diversity and inclusion and is committed to providing equal opportunities to those of all backgrounds and identities.
Deadline: Applications for the Australian Research Council Discovery Project Scholarship will be held open until the position is filled.