The United Nations Joint Programme on HIV and AIDS (UN-JUPSA), Uganda Aids Commission, the Ministry of ICT, and African Centre for Media Excellence (ACME) invite applications for the UN-JUPSA Media Awards on HIV/AIDS, Sexual and Reproductive Health, and Gender-based Violence in Uganda in 2021.
The awards, launched by UN-JUPSA in December 2020, honour distinguished reporting on Uganda’s aspirations to achieve universal access to HIV prevention, treatment, care, and support, halting and reversing the spread of HIV, and contributing to the achievement of related Millennium Development Goals. Additionally, they recognize the contribution of journalists, media managers and owners, and independent content creators in achieving the UNAIDS vision of Zero New Infections, Zero AIDS-related Deaths, and Zero Discrimination.
Worth of Award
- Winners will receive a substantial prize, a commemorative plaque, and a framed certificate.
- They will be recognized at the annual awards gala to be held on World AIDS Day, and their work will be amplified on the awards website.
There are 14 competition categories in this awards programme, namely:
- Best news story
- Best feature story
- Best investigative story
Three separate awards will be given each for the best news, feature, and investigative stories produced for print, broadcast, and online platforms.
- Best newspaper, television, radio, and online platforms.
- HIV fast-track ambassador award.
The UN-JUPSA Media awards are open to journalists, independent content producers, online media platforms, and media houses in Uganda for works produced between 1 July 2020 and 30 August 2021.
How to Apply
All applications should be made via the official website.
Deadline: The timelines include:
- 1 July – Submission of entries and nominations begins
- 30 September – Entry deadline
- 1 October – Judging process
- 15 November – Announcement of shortlist
- 1 December – Awards ceremony