South Africa Media Innovation Program (SAMIP) invites applications for Digital Innovations in Southern African Countries in 2021.
SAMIP was established in 2017 by Media Development Investment Fund as a multi-year initiative to accelerate digital innovation and sustainability among select independent media outlets in South Africa. The program has provided a mix of financing (grants/equity) and capacity building to a total of 24 independent media companies, non-profits, and start-ups.
The program now seeks to expand this cohort to include a small number of new entrants from Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. To diversify, strengthen and support innovation among independent media initiatives in Southern African countries, through a mix of project funding, technical support, and capacity building over a three-year period.
Funding focus areas include:
- Developing new approaches to reporting and storytelling that embrace the possibilities of technology.
- Serving underserved audiences, especially along the lines of race, gender, age, income, or location.
- Supporting new models for distributing news that saves cost, adds value, or reaches new audiences.
- Creating new sources of revenue that can support media sustainability and independence.
Worth of Award
- SAMIP aims to enroll five new organizations through this call.
- Project grants of USD 5,000-15,000 per organization.
- Technical assistance grants of up to 1000 USD per organization.
- Capacity-building through mentorship, coaching, workshops, and training.
- This call for applications is limited to entities based in Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
- Applications are open to existing independent media companies and non-profit organizations, as well as new ventures that are less than a year old.
How to Apply
- All applications should be made online via the official website.
- Once all applications have been assessed, shortlisted candidates will be invited to make a more detailed pitch to join the SAMIP cohort.
Deadline: Please fill out this form by July 31, 2021.