The Prize is an annual award for unpublished short fiction administered and funded by the Commonwealth Foundation and run by Commonwealth Writers, the cultural
programme of the foundation.
Worth of Award
- The overall winner receives £5,000.
- Regional winners each receive £2,500 and the opportunity to be published online by Granta magazine.
- Entrants must be citizens of a Commonwealth country or stateless persons currently residing in a Commonwealth country. Note that the Commonwealth Foundation will request verification of citizenship status before winners are selected as entries from citizens of non-Commonwealth countries are not eligible.
- For regional purposes, entries will be judged by country of citizenship. Where the writer has dual citizenship (of two Commonwealth countries), the entry will be judged in the region where the writer is permanently resident.
- There is no requirement for the writer to have current residence in a Commonwealth country, provided that they are a citizen of a Commonwealth country.
- Entrants must be aged 18 years or over on November 1, 2021.
- All entries will be accepted at the discretion of the Commonwealth Foundation which will exercise its judgment, in consultation with the prize chair, in ruling on questions of eligibility. The ruling of the chair on questions of eligibility is final, and no further correspondence will be entered into.
- Entries from previous overall winners of the Commonwealth Short Story Prize are not eligible but entries from previous regional winners are eligible.
- Current members of staff at the Commonwealth Foundation are not eligible to apply.
- Entries must be unpublished and remain unpublished in any language until May 1, 2022.
How to Apply
Entries must be submitted via the online entry form at: www.commonwealthwriters.org.
- The prize is only open to short fiction, but it can be in any fiction genre–science fiction, speculative fiction, historical fiction, crime, romance, literary fiction–and you may write about any subject you wish.
- You cannot enter a story you submitted in previous years.
- Your submission must be unpublished in any print or online publication, with the exception of personal websites.
Deadline: Submissions close November 1, 2021, at 11.59 pm in any time zone.