African Development Bank Group invites applications for the Japan Africa Dream Scholarship (JADS) Program for high achieving African Students for the 2021/22 academic session.
The Japan Africa Dream Scholarship (JADS) Program is a capacity-building project by the AfDB and Japan which was initiated in 2017 with the aim of providing two-year scholarship awards to highly achieving African graduate students to enable them to undergo post-graduate studies (i.e. a two-year Master’s degree program) in selected priority development areas on the continent and Japan.
The overarching goal the AfDB and the Government of Japan seek to attain is to enhance skills and human resources development in Africa is under the Bank’s High 5s agenda (i.e. “Feed Africa”, “Light up Africa”, “Industrialize Africa”, “Integrate Africa” and “Improve the quality of life of the people of Africa”) and key Japanese development assistance initiatives. JADS’s core areas of study focus include energy, agriculture, health, environmental sustainability, and engineering.
Worth of Award
The JADS Scholarship provides the recipient with the following benefits:
- Economy class air travel between your home country and the host university at the start of the study program and immediately following the end of the scholarship period.
- Tuition for a graduate program and the cost of basic medical insurance usually obtained through the university.
- A monthly subsistence allowance to cover living expenses, including books.
The JADS Scholarship does not cover:
- VISA application(s) costs
- Expenses to bring and/or support scholar’s family members;
- Extra-curricular courses or training;
- Language training not provided by the graduate program;
- Additional travel during the course of the study program;
- Expenses related to supplementary educational materials, field trips, participation in workshops/seminars, or internships; or
- Educational equipment such as computers.
Broadly speaking, nationals of African countries must:
- a national of an AfDB member country;
- in good health;
- accepted unconditionally to enroll in the upcoming academic year in at least one of the JADS partner universities for a Master’s degree;
- Hold a Bachelor (or equivalent) degree in the energy area (or related field) earned at least 1 year prior to the application deadline date;
- Have 1 year or more of recent development-related experience after earning a Bachelor (or equivalent) degree;
- Applicants living or working in a country other than their home countries are not eligible for scholarships.
- JADS does not support applicants who are already enrolled in graduate degree programs.
- Similarly, the applicant must not be an Executive Director, his/her alternate, and/or staff of all types of appointments of the African Development Bank Group or a close relative of the aforementioned by blood or adoption with the term “close relative” defined as Mother, Father, Sister, Half-sister, Brother, Half-brother, Son, Daughter, Aunt, Uncle, Niece, or Nephew.
How to Apply
All applications should be made online via the official website.
Deadline: The application deadline for September 2021/April 2022 intake is August 31, 2021.