University of Leicester invites applications for a funded PhD studentship in Education. The studentship is available for part-time registration and is payable as a partial UK/EU tuition fee waiver worth half of the part-time fee. The PhD studentship is open to international and UK/EU students who wish to commence studies in September 2014.
The fee waiver is payable pro rata over five years, the successful applicant will also receive a research training support grant.
This studentship is open to applicants wishing to pursue doctoral research in any area of education research that can be supervised by our academic staff – including:
- educational leadership, learning, and change
- teaching and learning
- education for social justice
- mathematics and science education
- language teaching, learning, and use
Search our staff supervision interests.
Supervisors will be agreed subject to the research project to be undertaken.
- First class or upper second class undergraduate degree or an equivalent overseas qualification in a relevant subject*
- It is expected that applicants will also hold a Masters degree in a relevant subject*
- Sufficient professional experience to undertake the proposed research – i.e., an appropriate background in research or are deemed capable on the basis of academic qualifications, professional experience, and supporting references
- Standard English language requirements (IELTS with a minimum overall score of 6.5 and a minimum score of 6.0 in each component; or TOEFL internet-based 90/120 minimum)
- Available to suitable UK/EU and International (i.e., outside the EU) applicants – please note though that the award covers tuition fees at the UK/EU rate only; international applicants (and those not eligible to pay UK/EU tuition fees) must demonstrate at the time of their application that they can fund the difference in tuition fee rates
- Available for part-time registration only
- Under UK immigration laws, student visas are not issued for part-time programmes; international applicants would be expected to remain based in their normal country of residence
How to apply
- Draft a research proposal that tells us what you want to research, how you intend to do it, and why it is worth doing
- Prepare your supporting documents
- Submit your online application or apply by post
- The studentship will remain open until filled – so early application is strongly encouraged
- Applications that do not include a full research proposal and the required supporting documents will not be considered
- In the Fees and Financial Support section of the application, applicants must state that they wish to be considered for the October 2014 Doctor of Education Studentship (Ref. EdD)
Deadline: Application are accepted on a rolling basis. Apply early to increase your chances of success.