Heidelberg University invites applications for the PhD Scholarships in Geoinformatics for African Students in Germany for the 2022/23 academic session.
The GIScience Research Group of Heidelberg University is engaged in innovative applied and basic research at the interface between geography and the computational sciences. They thereby focus on the investigation of user-generated geographical content, for which we develop state-of-the-art methods and analytical approaches. More specifically, their thematic focuses are on volunteered geographic information (VGI), big spatial data analytics, and disaster management.
Worth of Award
The PhD Scholarships in Geoinformatics for African Students is worth
- 1,200 € per month.
- The award period is generally 2 semesters. An extension is possible on request and if all requirements are met (academic performance, financial hardship, and availability of funds).
You can apply for a Robert and Christine Danziger Scholarship if:
- You are a very good up-and-coming doctoral student from Africa (primarily from Ghana or another country in West and Central Africa), you have performed very well in your studies and are planning to apply for a doctorate at Heidelberg University in one of the following fields:
- Geography with a focus on Geoinformatics
- Political Science
- You are planning to move to Germany for a doctorate at Heidelberg University, on-site, or you already live in Germany since you are currently attending a language course to acquire the required language skills.
- You need help with funding your doctorate.
How to Apply
Please submit the following application documents during the application period:
- Signed application form
- Current performance records: University diploma that qualifies for a doctorate (original certificate) including the final grade as well as an official translation in German or English and if available, an official conversion of the diploma to the German grading system.
If your university diploma is not available by the end of the application period, it is sufficient to submit a provisional certificate from the university confirming your academic performance, so far (ideally with a grade of all examinations, so far), that states that you expect to complete your course of study by the start of the semester following the application period. Please note that you have to submit your missing certificate by the start of the lecture period.
- Confirmation of acceptance of the doctorate
- Curriculum vitae in table form
- Letter of motivation with reference to the topic of the doctorate
- Recommendation letter from a university instructor in the specific field
- Proof of citizenship
- Self-disclosure of revenue and expenditure (part of the application form)
- Evidence confirming the financial situation (payslip of the parents, own wage slips, etc.)
Please send your application documents in one single email to [email protected]
Deadline: You can apply for a scholarship from May 1 to July 15, 2022.