Visura is inviting applications for the Young Photographer Award for Visual Storytellers in Uganda 2021.
The Young Photographer Award is an educational award geared towards passionate emerging photographers looking to cultivate a career in documentary photography or photojournalism. The programme is designed to give young photographers a chance to learn more about photography with our bootcamp course as well as developing a documentary photography project under the guidance of an industry professional. The photographic outcomes of the mentees are exhibited in Kampala.
Worth of Award
- The winner of the competition receives a DSLR camera and, together with the runners-up, gets an opportunity to participate in an intensive Mentorship Programme.
- All submissions are made via a Story uploaded from the Visura platform.
- The contest is restricted to Ugandan citizens, between 21 and 28 years of age.
As part of your submission, written in English, you should include
- Your motivation, not less than 200 words.
- Your project proposal, that shouldn’t be less than 400 words. The proposed subject must be noteworthy and original or, an original take on an old idea.
- One proposal per photographer will be considered. In the case of multiple submissions being received from a single photographer only the first proposal received will be considered.
- The project proposal is a concept note for a documentary project that you’d like to realize.
- The portfolio should consist of up to 20 images taken by the applicant which will represent your photographic approach and interests.
- While there will be no restrictions to technical quality of the images submitted, applicants are expected to submit their best quality images.
- Images must have accurate captions, written in English only, and contain adequate information which should include
Description of who is in the photograph and what is going on within the photo.
- Name of the place where the picture was made.
- Provide the date the photo was made.
- Captions must give context for what’s not seen (e.g. the scene of walking pilgrims).
How to Apply
- All submissions are made via a Story created from the Visura dashboard
- Stories may be ongoing or recently completed personal story
- Image size: 2200px on the longest dimension. (11 inches @ 200 dpi, jpg format)
- Include a written Statement, in first person, saved as the Story text.
- Stories may be ‘published’ or ‘private’ within the Visura system.
Deadline: Applications close July 15, 2021.