Universiti Malaya in Malaysia invites applications for the Universiti Malaya Student Financial Aid award in the 2021/22 academic session. This scheme is open to local and international candidates enrolled (active status) in Masters (research mode) or Doctoral programme.
The University of Malaya derives its name from the term ‘Malaya’ as the country was then known. The Carr-Saunders Commission on University Education in Malaya, which recommended the setting up of the university, noted in its Report in 1948: “The University of Malaya would provide for the first time a common centre where varieties of race, religion and economic interest could mingle in joint endeavour … For a University of Malaya must inevitably realise that it is a university for Malaya.”
Worth of Award
- Successful applicants will receive living allowance and up to 100% fee waiver (for selected fees).
- This scheme is open to local and international postgraduate candidates enrolled in Masters (full research) or Doctorate programme at Universiti Malaya (UM).
- Applicants must have been offered as a Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) by UM for a period of at least four (4) months for the applied semester (to apply for GRA, go to https://ra-recruitment.um.edu.my/)
- Applicants must not be sponsored by any federal/state/statutory body or any other organisation
- Applicants must be free from any debt / outstanding fees with UM
- Applicants must be within the Graduate on Time (GOT) period of candidature at the time of application, i.e.
- For Masters programmes – 5th semester and below*
- For Doctorate programmes – 7th semester and below*
- * The candidate’s Graduate Research Assistantship (GRA) must still be active.
How to Apply
- Applications must be submitted online via maya.um.edu.my http://maya.um.edu.my > Finance > Scholarship.
- Applications submitted in hard copy format will not be accepted.
- Applicants are required to upload their previous and latest Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) offer letter in the online application system. The GRA offer letter must have been issued by the Institute of Research Management & Services (IPPP), Universiti Malaya (https://umresearch.um.edu.my/).
- Incomplete applications will automatically be rejected.
Deadline: Applications should be received by not later than August 31, 2021.