The Macquarie University in Australia invites applications for PhD scholarship on Internet Privacy and Security Analytics in the 2021/22 academic session.
The candidate will conduct high-quality research activities within the Optus Macquarie University Cyber-Security Hub, led by Prof. Dali Kaafar, to research on Cyber security and Privacy-Preserving Technologies including but not limited to:
Internet privacy and security analytics, to automatically detect and quantify privacy violations and security threats in the Web and Mobile Apps.
The candidate will exploit active and passive measurements and design pipelines to automatically detect, quantify and highlight security and privacy threats. They will use data analytics and machine learning techniques, applied Cryptography and Information theory as the fundamental building blocks to identify malicious activities, security vulnerabilities and leaks of confidential information.
Machine learning security and privacy analysis, to quantify the information leakage of AI platforms, as well as the associated security risks under adversarial settings. The candidate will (i) identify privacy and security risks in Machine Learning algorithms, focusing on sensitive real-world applications such as biometric recognition, and (ii) propose novel defence approaches for trustworthy, private, and secure machine learning.
The candidate will work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary research team, to undertake independent scientific investigations and carry out associated tasks under the guidance of senior Researchers and Academics.
Worth of Award
- The scholarship is comprised of a Tuition Fee Offset and a Living Allowance Stipend.
- The value and tenure of the scholarship is an “MQRES” full-time stipend rate of $28,597 per annum (in 2021 tax-exempt for up to 3 years – indexed annually).
- Eligible Countries: All nationalities.
- Acceptable Course or Subjects: PhD degree programme to conduct high-quality research on Cybersecurity and Privacy-Preserving Technologies including but not limited to: Internet privacy and security analytics & Machine learning security and privacy analysis.
- Admissible Criteria: To be eligible for the opportunity, applicants must meet the minimum requirement for admission to a PhD degree:
- Completion of a Master of Research (MRes) with a grade of at least a Distinction level (75% or greater in the second year.
- Must have a Master of Philosophy.
- Have a two-year Master’s degree with a major research component at Distinction level (75% or greater).
How to Apply
New applicants to Macquarie University will need to complete the OnlineHDR Candidature and Scholarship Application via the Online Application System and arrange for two academic referee reports to be submitted to the Higher Degree Research Office.
Current applicants with a successful candidature offer less than 12 months old and currently enrolled Macquarie University candidates:
- MUST submit an online Scholarship Only Application form with supporting documents. .
- Include any additional documentation/research output
- MUST indicate the allocation number under the scholarship details question
- MUST include ID number and full name in email subject line (in one PDF attachment)
Deadline: applications close August 1, 2021.