The Macquarie University in Australia invites applications for PhD scholarship on Properties of physical black holes in the 2021/22 academic session.
It is still unknown if any of the astrophysical black holes possess the key black hole feature — a trapped region from which no signal can escape. In mathematical physics and sci-fi this region is bounded by horizon and may contain singularity. We work on finding out if black hole horizons exist.
By focusing on conditions for existence of trapped regions this project can describe their neighborhoods’ and extract observable properties. The research may focus on one of the three directions: (1) quantum consequences of such metrics (negative energy, appearance of the Hawking radiation and the information loss paradox), (2) ringdown of perturbations, properties of light (light rings, polarization rotation), (3) extension of the approach to more complicated configurations and /or alternative theories of gravity.
Worth of Award
- The scholarship is comprised of a Tuition Fee Offset and a Living Allowance Stipend.
- The value and tenure of the scholarship is an “MQRES” full-time stipend rate of $28,597 per annum (in 2021 tax-exempt for up to 3 years – indexed annually).
- This scholarship is available to eligible candidates to undertake a direct entry 3-year PhD program.
- To be eligible for a scholarship, applicants are expected to have a record of excellent academic performance and preferably, additional relevant research experience and/or peer-reviewed research activity in line with the University’s scholarship rating guidelines.
How to Apply
New applicants to Macquarie University will need to complete the OnlineHDR Candidature and Scholarship Application via the Online Application System and arrange for two academic referee reports to be submitted to the Higher Degree Research Office.
Current applicants with a successful candidature offer less than 12 months old and currently enrolled Macquarie University candidates:
- MUST submit an online Scholarship Only Application form with supporting documents. .
- Include any additional documentation/research output
- MUST indicate the allocation number under the scholarship details question
- MUST include ID number and full name in email subject line (in one PDF attachment)
Deadline: applications close December 31, 2021.