DAAD invites applications for the DAAD Postdoctoral Fellowships with emphasis on National or Regional Development in Sub-Saharan Africa for the 2021/22 academic session.
The In-Country/In-Region scholarship programme aims at fostering strong,
internationally-oriented higher education systems in Sub-Saharan Africa with the
capacity to contribute to sustainable development. By training future academic and professional leaders, the programme contributes to the following long-term impacts:
- Qualified professionals’ involvement in the solution of development-related problems in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Postgraduates strengthening education and research in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Structural strengthening and regional networking of partner institutions and
Worth of Award
Successful candidates will receive a
- monthly instalment of 1.000 EUR (In-Region) and 500 EUR (In-Country).
- monthly research allowance of 100 EUR.
- a one-time Travel Allowance payment (In-Region only).
- annual Health insurance coverage (In-Region only).
Candidates must be
- current or prospective teaching or research staff at a university or research institution in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- invited by a Sub-Saharan African host institution.
- nationals of a Sub-Saharan African country.
Similarly, they should
- preferably be former DAAD Scholarship Holders from Sub-Saharan Africa within the In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme or from cooperation projects with German universities.
- have completed their PhD degree generally not more than six years ago.
- preferably come from other countries than the country where the programme takes place.
- be female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
Applications may come from all subject areas with strong relevance to national or
How to Apply
Documents to be submitted for the DAAD Postdoctoral Fellowships in Sub-Saharan Africa include
- DAAD application form duly filled (available in the DAAD-Portal).
- Curriculum Vitae (please use the Europass specimen form at http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu), including a list of publications (if
- Invitation and nomination by the host institution.
- Research proposal (up to 5 pages) which must have been arranged in advance with the host researcher.
- Detailed time and work plan.
- 2 recommendation letters by academic referees.
- PhD certificate (certified as a true copy of the original certificate).
- Letter of Motivation (mentioning the former host institution and funding
Register and apply online via the DAAD-Portal under the tab “Personal
Deadline: The application closing date is July 1, 2021, for fellowships starting November 1, 2021.