Quantum Leap Africa invites applications for the AIMS PhD in Data Science for Emerging African Scientists in Rwanda for the 2021/22 academic session.
The field of data science is emerging as a critical discipline with high relevance to economic growth and development. This doctoral training program established by AIMS will provide emerging African scientists the opportunity to conduct research at the forefront of data science, and work towards a PhD degree within a high-quality training program in Africa, in cooperation with institutions internationally.
The program will focus on theoretical foundations of data science as well as applications of data science to improve the daily lives of Africans. It is built on the understanding that modern approaches in data science require a combination of expertise spanning the areas of mathematics, statistics, computer science, and the applied sciences.
Worth of Award
- 7 positions available
- Length of program: 3 years, with possible extension to a 4th year
- Fully funded (stipend, equipment, health insurance, relocation costs, conference attendance, direct cost to graduating institution such as tuition fees and registration fees)
- International supervision teams from well-known research institutions
- Research topics that push the boundaries of data science
- Master’s degree (completed by Sept 2021) in mathematics, statistics, computer science, engineering, physics or other relevant fields;
- Sufficient theoretical foundations evidenced by prior work (courses/thesis/other training);
- Qualification for pursuing research on the chosen topic, including relevant programming expertise;
- Research potential evidenced by academic performance and involvement in relevant academic activities;
- Motivation for pursuing a PhD by research in the suggested topic;
- Being an African national.
How to Apply
All applications are to be made online via the official website.
Deadline: Selected students will start in Oct/Nov 2021.