African Economic Research Consortium invites applications for its PhD Fellowships for Professional African Economists for the 2022/2023 academic year.
The African Economic Research Consortium (AERC) was established in 1988 as a public not-for-profit organization devoted to the advancement of economic policy research and training in Africa. The Consortium’s mandate and strategic intent are built on the basis that sustained development in subSaharan Africa requires well-trained, locally based professional economists.
Applicants from Francophone and Anglophone sub-Saharan African countries will be admitted into any of the following AERC Collaborative PhD Programme (CPP) in Economics degree-awarding universities:
• University of Cape Town, South Africa • University of Witwatersrand, South Africa
• University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania • University of Nairobi, Kenya
• University of Ibadan, Nigeria • University of Benin, Nigeria
• University of Yaoundé II, Cameroon • Felix Houphouet-Boigny University, Côte d’Ivoire
Worth of Award
AERC promotes the provision of capacity building in economic policy in Francophone and Anglophone African countries through the provision of support in the areas of policy research and graduate training.
Successful applicants will be communicated on the worth of the award.
To qualify for the African Economic Research Consortium PhD Fellowships, an applicant must:
- Have applied and been admitted to any one of the listed CPP universities;
- Have attained at least a Second Class Honours (Upper Division) or equivalent in Economics, Agricultural Economics, or related field from an accredited university;
- Have a Masters degree (with coursework and thesis component) in Economics, Agricultural Economics, or related fields from a recognized University. The coursework should have covered microeconomics, macroeconomics, quantitative methods and econometrics;
- Possession of at least 1 relevant publication in a refereed journal will be an added advantage;
- Evidence of engagement in economic management, research and/or training in the public sector will be an added advantage; and
How to Apply
Interested applicants must submit their applications for admission directly to the respective
universities (application procedure can be obtained from the respective university’s website). Upon receipt of an admission letter from a specific university, applicants shall send the following documents to AERC on [email protected] and copy [email protected]
Deadline: The deadline for applying for the scholarship is August 31.