The Global Poverty Project offers Waislitz Global Citizen Awards to recognize the excellence of individuals in their work to end extreme poverty in 2021.
The awards are presented by the Waislitz Foundation and Global Citizen, and in 2021 are supported by the leading US and Australian based cellular medicines company, Mesoblast Ltd.
“Ending extreme poverty is not a choice, it’s an obligation. My hope is that it will inspire many thousands of people around the world to do what they can to improve the living standards of those in dire need,” Chairman and Founder of the Melbourne-based Waislitz Foundation, Alex Waislitz.
The Waislitz Foundation exists to create a positive social impact locally and globally through innovative projects that empower individuals to meet their full potential and make a measurable difference to the world.
Worth of Award
This 2021 Waislitz Global Citizen Awards feature four awards totaling $250,000.
- $100,000: Waislitz Global Citizen Award (Grand Prize)
- $50,000: The Waislitz Global Citizen Disruptor Award
- $50,000: The Waislitz Global Citizens’ Choice Award
- $50,000: The Waislitz Global Citizen COVID-19 Response Award
In addition to the cash prizes, the four winners will be profiled in editorial pieces that will be featured on the Global Citizen platform and social media.
Please note, due to COVID-19, there will not be an award ceremony in 2021.
Entrants aged eighteen (18) years of age or older from anywhere in the world are eligible to apply for the awards.
All applicants will be evaluated based on individual merit, including the following five key areas:
- GLOBAL CITIZENSHIP: How does the applicant embody and exemplify the values and practices of a Global Citizen?
- PROOF OF CONCEPT: Does the applicant have a strong proof of concept with at least 1-2 years of impact towards ending extreme poverty?
- DISRUPTION: Has the applicant created measurable impact in an innovative manner that disrupts the systems that allow for extreme poverty to exist?
- SCALABILITY: How would this award enable/support the applicant to scale or improve their work?
- ADAPTABILITY: Can the applicant demonstrate examples of their ability to adapt and evolve to changing conditions?
- The grand prize Waislitz Global Citizen Award will be awarded to an applicant based on the 5 criteria listed above.
- The Waislitz Global Citizen Disruptor Award will be awarded to an individual who excels in the “Disruption” criteria.
- The Waislitz Global Citizens’ Choice Award will be selected with input from public online voting by the Global Citizen community.
- The Waislitz Global Citizen COVID-19 Response Award will be awarded to an applicant who excels in the “Adaptability” criteria and has implemented a specific adaptation, pivot or new program that addresses the impacts of COVID-19.
How to Apply
You can apply on their website
Deadline: Applications close Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 11:59pm EDT