The University of Copenhagen in Denmark offers a PhD Fellowship in Metabolomics in the 2021/22 academic session. The position begins 1 July 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter.
The PhD Fellowship Metabolomics stipend is financed by a recently granted VILLUM Investigator project on Plant Transportomics. Transport of metabolites across cellular borders is essential for plant fitness and survival, and has proven important in controlling key quality traits in agriculture. Yet, the function of thousands of transporters is largely unknown.
We will create a first-of-its-kind transportomics database that will grow to include substrate spectra of every transporter in the model plant Arabidopsis thaliana, thale cress. Moreover, we will decode the chemical language of plants by mapping the metabolites exuded and the transporters present at the root and leaf epidermis during stress conditions when intense communication occurs. The knowledge gained and molecular tools generated will have application in sustainable agriculture.
In this project aimed at decoding the chemical language of plants, the student will generate a pipeline for untargeted metabolomics of root and leaf exudates as well as plant extracts using MS-QTOF together with advanced online tools such as e.g. XCMS, Molecular Network Analysis. The PhD student will work closely with other members of the team in development of pipeline for mining MS data and collaborate with a computational team in the design and building of the transportomics database with MS data. Additionally, the structure of novel stress-induced exuded m/z features will be determined using novel methodology.
Worth of Award
- The starting salary is currently up to DKK 430.569 including annual supplement (+ pension up to DKK 73.627). Negotiation for salary supplement is possible.
Your key tasks as a PhD student are to:
- Manage and carry through your research project
- Publish in international peer-reviewed journals
- Participate in conferences
- Teach, supervise BSc and MSc students, and disseminate your research
- A MSc in Biochemistry, Chemistry, Biology, Biotechnology or a closely relate field
- A strong motivation for the application
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Well-developed collaborative skills
Key criteria for the assessment of candidates
Special importance will be attached to applicants having the following professional qualifications:
- Documented experience within analytical chemistry
- Expertise and/or strong interest MS analysis and data mining
- Experience with working on MS instruments will be an advantage
Emphasis for selecting the successful candidate will laid on previous publications (if any) and relevant work experience.
How to Apply
The application for PhD Fellowship Metabolomics, in English, must be submitted electronically by clicking APPLY NOW on their website.
- Curriculum vita
- Diplomas (exam scores, Master degree or equivalent)
- Contact information for three reference persons
Deadline: Applications close on May 24, 2021.