African Union invites applications for the African Union Innovating Education for Education Innovators in Africa in 2021.
The advent of COVID-19 has exacerbated challenges in Africa’s education and training systems and reinforce the need for innovative solutions that are fit for context and can be scaled up sustainably to meet the continually evolving context of education and training. Although the education deficit in Africa is large, significant progress has been made over the past decade. About a fifth of children between the ages of 6-11 are out of school, whereas for children between 12-14 exclusion is about 33%; and an estimated 60% of youth between the ages of 15-17 not in school, with girls, more negatively affected. Thus, access remains a challenge at different levels.
Innovating Education in Africa (IEA) was established in 2018 by the African Union (AU) with the aim of identifying, promoting, and supporting the systemic adoption and replication of education innovations in all aspects of education and training in Africa.
Worth of Award
Successful applicants will benefit from one or more of the following:
- Receive grants of up to 100,000 USD to implement pilot projects in collaboration with AU Member States.
- Promotion and publicity of Innovation to the AU Member States and Development Partners, including publication in the Africa Education Innovations Handbook 2021 and future invitation to participate in AU events and programs.
- Certificate of recognition from the African Union Commissioner for Education, Science, Technology, and Innovation.
Applications will be accepted from AU Member State citizens who lead an organization that meets the following criteria:
- Implementing or piloting an education innovation in one or more AU Member States;
- Legally registered and operational for not less than 1 year;
- Directly responsible for the implementation and management of the innovation, i.e., not acting as an intermediary;
- Should not have been a previous grant recipient under Innovating Education in Africa.
How to Apply
Submissions should be made online in English or French at www.edu-au.org/submit-innovation, with the following information:
- A brief statement of the problem you are trying to solve (100 words).
- Describe your innovation, specifically how it functions and the implementation approach (500 words).
- Justification of how the innovation can be implemented on a large scale sustainably, given the prevalent challenges in the African context (250 words).
- The number of people that have already used the innovation.
- Legal documentation of business registration and operation.
- Video demonstration of your innovation (optional).
- Inquiries should be sent to [email protected].
Deadline: Deadline for submissions: June 25th, 2021 by 23:00 (GMT+3).