The following opportunities are available:
- VSR (non-degree): South African PhD students enrolled with a South African University may apply to conduct one year’s research at a U.S. university as a Visiting Student Researcher (VSR). Current National Research Foundation (NRF) funded PhD students are encouraged to apply.
- MA/PhD: Post-graduate students may apply for scholarships towards Masters or Doctorate degrees. Scholarships are awarded for two years towards one degree – Master’s or Doctorate (renewable each year).
Worth of Award
- Master’s or Doctoral Degree: 2 years of funding towards one degree. For Doctoral degrees, at least 2-3 years of study are required beyond the initial two years. Doctoral candidates need to secure their own personal or other funding to continue studying in the United States.
- Non-Degree: Participation in a visiting research program for one academic year (9-10 months).
- Fully funded awards generally cover the following, but can vary according to each grantee’s program:
In order to be eligible for the South Africa Fulbright Foreign Student Program, you must
- be a South African citizen OR a permanent resident with a minimum of 5 years of permanent residency status in South Africa (Please note: S.A. nationals with dual citizenship from the U.S. are not eligible for the program).
- have a four-year bachelor’s degree, or a three-year bachelor’s degree plus honors year, or a four-year B-Tech degree when applying for a Master’s.
- have a Master’s degree when applying for a Doctoral degree.
- be registered for a PhD with a South African university for Non-Degree (Visiting Student Researcher) studies.
- Academic excellence.
- Required scores for the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) and Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) for each specific field of study.
- Clearly written study objectives.
- Demonstrable interpersonal skills with evidence of cultural sensitivity and a genuine desire to learn more about the United States and share with American citizens aspects of South African culture.
- Experience and interest in extracurricular and community activities.
- Evidence of leadership potential.
- A desire to further the Fulbright Program and give back to your home country upon returning.
How to Apply
All applications should be made online via the official website using this application link: https://apply.iie.org/ffsp2022
Deadline: The closing date for applications is May 14, 2021.