The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) of India and The World Academy of Sciences offers postdoc fellowships to foreign scholars from developing countries who wish to pursue research in emerging areas in science and technology for which facilities are available in laboratories and institutes of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) of India.
- TWAS-CSIR Postdoctoral Fellowships are tenable in CSIR research laboratories and institutes in India for a minimum period of six months to a maximum period of twelve months.
- Eligible CSIR institutions: Information on CSIR laboratories and institutes can be obtained by following the links from the CSIR homepage (www.csir.res.in). Alternatively, a list of eligible institutes is available here.
- The language of instruction for foreign scholars in CSIR laboratories/institutes is English.
Worth of Award
- CSIR will provide a monthly stipend to cover for living costs, food and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency. In addition, Fellowship awardees are entitled to subsidized accommodation.
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- be a maximum age of 45 years on 31 December of the application year.
- be nationals of a developing country (other than India).
- hold a PhD degree in a field of science or technology.
- must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in India or any developed country.
- be regularly employed in a developing country and hold a research assignment.
- be accepted at a CSIR laboratory/institution and provide an official acceptance letter from the host institution (see sample Acceptance Letter that can be downloaded below or included in the application form). N.B. Requests for acceptance must be directed to the chosen CSIR host institution(s), with copy to the CSIR contact person. This will allow CSIR to monitor requests and offer support or assistance in finding suitable host institution(s), if necessary;
- provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English;
- provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
How to Apply
- Applicants should submit the Acceptance Letter from a CSIR institution to CSIR and TWAS when applying or by the deadline at the latest. Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Applications for the TWAS-CSIR Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme can ONLY be submitted to TWAS via the online portal and copy of the submitted application must be sent to CSIR by email. A tutorial on how to use the online application form is available below for download.
- Please be advised that applicants may apply for only one programme per calendar year in the TWAS and OWSD portfolio. Applicants will not be eligible to visit another institution in that year under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes. One exception: The head of an institution who invites an external scholar to share his/her expertise under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes may still apply for another programme.
Results of the fellowship selection should be available toward the end of 2021 or early 2022, and selected candidates will be able to start their fellowship NO earlier than beginning of 2022.
Deadline: The deadline for receipt of applications is July 31, 2021.