Do you like writing stories that cover conservation technology-related research? Mongabay Sue Palminteri WildTech Reporting Fellowship for Writers in the USA is currently accepting applications in 2021.
This opportunity affords the fellow the opportunity to develop their writing skills and have their news stories published on its renowned website which boasts of over two million global readers every month.
As a WildTech Reporting Fellow, you will be writing roughly six news stories and six interviews on a variety of conservation technology topics over a course of a six-month commitment (July-December 2021). Topics will be assigned to you by one of its editors.
In a similar vein, you will work closely with Mongabay journalists and receive writing guidelines and feedback on their news stories before publication. You will also receive a deeper understanding of journalistic programs and processes at Mongabay as well as one-on-one training and mentorship from the editors you work with.
Worth of Award
The WildTech Reporting Fellow will receive a $5,000 honorarium for the duration of the program.
The fellow also stands to
• Gain publishing experience in a high-profile news outlet
• Learn about journalistic programs and processes at Mongabay
• Become part of a community of passionate and talented writers
• Receive coaching and support
• Participate in a meet and greet training session via Skype and Q&A with Mongabay staff
• Work with different editors and receive guidance and feedback
• Develop writing skills
• Develop interviewing skills
• Resume building
• Obtain Mongabay letters of reference and personal recommendations
To be eligible for the Mongabay Sue Palminteri WildTech Reporting Fellowship for Writers, you need to be (a)/have
• Excellent communication skills
• Passionate about environmental subjects
• Positive attitude
• Coachable and open to learning
• Strong values – personally and professionally
• Problem-solving skills
• Interest in conservation technology
Please refrain from applying to this opportunity if you:
• Are already a regular Mongabay contributor
• Don’t speak English, as this opportunity is managed by our English editorial team
How to Apply
Applicants are required to submit the following documents (have these items prepared before beginning the application process):
- Cover letter
- Indicate why you are interested and what values & skills you can contribute to Mongabay.
- Indicate whether you have previous experience in conservation technology or related fields. If you don’t, please explain what compelled you to apply for this opportunity.
- Submit a writing sample from a journal entry or blog article. If you don’t have a sample you can choose one from the following three articles to complete a writing sample (600 words max.)
- A new use of technology to solve an old problem: Estimating the population size of a burrow nesting seabird
- Can Handheld Thermal Imaging Technology Improve Detection of Poachers in African Bushveldt?
- Adoption and consequences of new light-fishing technology (LEDs) on Lake Tanganyika, East Africa
4. Optional: submit an additional writing sample of your own.
Deadline: The application deadline May 31, 2021, 11:00 a.m. EDT (New York time).