Victoria University of Wellington invites applications for the Tongarewa Scholarship for International Students in New Zealand for the 2021/2022 academic year.
The Tongarewa Scholarship (“the Scholarship”) celebrates the University’s commitment to its international student community. It awards a range of these scholarships each year and is a partial fee-based scholarship. It will be put towards your tuition fees for one year of study. Applicants can be either entering their first year of an undergraduate degree or entering a postgraduate degree programme at the university.
Scholarships are awarded competitively on the basis of academic excellence. They apply to study in the year following application and will be credited to tuition fees. Shortlisted candidates may be requested to provide additional information to support their application. Recipients of the scholarship are guaranteed an offer of a place in one of its Halls of Residence. This is provided an accommodation application is received by the Accommodation Service by their deadline.
Worth of Award
The scholarship is worth between $5,000 and $10,000.
Applicants must be:
- international students who are paying full international fees.
- entering their first year of an undergraduate degree or entering a postgraduate degree.
You are not eligible for this scholarship if you:
- completed your secondary education at a New Zealand school.
- completed the English Proficiency Programme or Foundation Studies Programme.
- are a Study Abroad or Twinning student from one of our overseas partner universities.
- are in your second year of study in the same degree programme at Victoria University of Wellington.
How to Apply
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date. This is in order for the application to be considered.
The following documentation must be provided as part of your online scholarship application:
- A personal statement of up to 500 words outlining why you wish to study at Victoria University of Wellington. It should include your academic goals and why you merit the scholarship. You should also include any leadership positions and details of your involvement in your school or community.
- Full transcripts and other documentation relevant to the qualification type.
- An offer of place from Victoria University of Wellington (conditional or unconditional).
To apply for the Tongarewa Scholarship for Trimester 2, 2021 by June 1, as well as for Trimester 3 by Sept 1, click on the link on the official website.
Deadline: November 30 (For Trimester 1), June 1(For Trimester 2), September 1(For Trimester 3).