The Commonwealth invites applications for the Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships for Commonwealth Developing Countries in the UK for the 2023/24 academic year.
Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships enable talented and motivated individuals to gain the knowledge and skills required for sustainable development. They are aimed at those unable to study in the UK for financial and other reasons.
These scholarships are offered under six themes:
- Science and technology for development
- Strengthening health systems and capacity
- Promoting global prosperity
- Strengthening global peace, security, and governance
- Strengthening resilience and response to crises
- Access, inclusion, and opportunity
Worth of Award
This scholarship seeks to contribute to the development needs of Commonwealth countries by providing training for skilled and qualified professionals. This training will be provided in key development areas.
Commonwealth Shared Scholarships are for candidates from eligible low and middle-income Commonwealth countries, to undertake full-time taught Master’s study at a UK university.
To apply for these scholarships, you must:
- a citizen of or have been granted refugee status by an eligible Commonwealth country, or be a British Protected Person
- permanently resident in an eligible Commonwealth country
- available to start your academic studies in the UK by the start of the UK academic year in September 2022
- unable to afford to study at a UK university without this scholarship
How to Apply
All applications should be made online via the official website.
- Candidates must apply and secure admission to study an approved Master’s course at a participating UK university in addition to applying for a Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarship via the CSC’s online application system.
- View the full list of approved courses and participating UK universities
- Candidates can apply for more than one course and to more than one university, however, they may only accept one offer of a Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarship. Note that Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships are only for Master’s courses and not for undergraduate or PhD study. Please check with the chosen university for their specific advice on when to apply, admission requirements and rules for applying.
- The CSC is unable to accept any applications that are not submitted via the CSC’s online application system.
- Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarship applications will be shared with UK universities, who will nominate their chosen candidates to receive a Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarship in May 2023. The CSC then checks that the candidates nominated meet the CSC’s eligibility criteria. Universities inform candidates if they have successfully been awarded a Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarship in July 2023.
Candidates must upload the following documents with the application:
- Proof that the applicant is a citizen or has refugee status in an eligible Commonwealth country: a copy of a valid passport (or national ID card) showing a photograph, date of birth, and country of citizenship
- Full transcripts detailing all higher education qualifications, including to-date transcripts for any courses currently being studied, with certified translations if not in English
- References from at least two individuals, on institutional letterhead or an email clearly showing the sender’s details
Deadline: The closing date for applications is Tuesday 28 March 2023 at 16:00 (GMT).