The University of Arts London invites applications from prospective qualified graduate students for the 2014/15 Cordwainers MA Scholarship. The Cordwainers MA Scholarship aims to promote postgraduate study at the London College of Fashion to students with the ability and potential to make an exceptional contribution to the fashion industry. The Scholarship also encourages applications from those unable to finance themselves through postgraduate study and who will benefit from further study to realise their full potential.
Worth of Award
The Cordwainers MA Scholarship will cover Home/E.U tuition fees and will be a contribution towards International tuition fees which will be paid directly from the University’s tuition fees account.
- Applicants must enrol for their MA in the same academic year for which they have applied for funding. If any applicant is unable to do this for any reason, the scholarship will be withdrawn and the student must apply again for the next academic year.
- The scholarship will be awarded to one carefully selected student accepted to study on the MA Fashion Artefact or MA Fashion Footwear courses at London College of Fashion, for enrolment in September 2014.
- The Cordwainers MA Scholarship is open to Home/EU and international students applying to study on the MA Fashion Artefact or MA Fashion Footwear courses at London College of Fashion.
- Applicant must be accepted on the full-time MA Fashion Artefact or MA Fashion Footwear courses at London College of Fashion.
- Be an undergraduate student expecting to graduate with a first or 2:1 in a Bachelor’s degree (with Honours) from a recognised higher education institution before 31st July 2014. Or
- Be a graduate, having already gained first or 2:1 in a bachelors degree (with Honours) from a recognised Higher Education institution
- Applicants without a bachelors degree must be able to demonstrate substantial equivalent and applicable experience
Requirements upon The Cordwainers MA Scholarship holders
- The Cordwainers MA Scholarship holder is expected to attend all timetabled classes and tutorials, except periods of absence due to illness. Attendance will be monitored, and any student with an unacceptable attendance record may risk the termination of their Scholarship.
- Award holders are expected to attend a small number College and University events promoting scholarship support to potential donors and other scholarship supporters at these events, during and wherever convenient after completing their course.
- The College will provide the donor with a report on the Scholarship recipient during and/or after the completion of the course.
- The College will terminate the award if registration lapses on any grounds, other than temporary suspension of study due to extenuating circumstances. These circumstances must be drawn to the attention of the relevant course director at London College of Fashion through formal procedures, and upheld by the London College of Fashion Extenuating Circumstances Panel.
- If the award is terminated the student will be expected to pay back the maintenance payments they have received to that point.
How to Apply
Please ensure you submit all the required elements:-
- Completed application form
- Digital portfolio – a CD containing one PDF file made up of a title page with your name and course and 10 images of recent work which shows the best of your talent. Please note paper portfolios will not be accepted. You can submit the same pieces of work which were used for your course application. Please ensure the CD is clearly labelled with your name and contact details.
- 500 word statement relating to your work in addition to the supporting statement which is part of the application form.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Last three months bank statements
Assessment procedure for applications for Cordwainers Scholarship
Applications will be assessed according to financial circumstances and academic merit by a panel of tutors at London College of Fashion.
- The Panel will request the applicants to attend an interview at University of the Arts London. Interviews will be held mid June 2014. Exact date and location of the interviews to be confirmed. The Panel will make their final selections by marking the quality of application and interview (where applicable), the preparedness for high quality study in the discipline area and the articulation of how a Cordwainers Scholarship will contribute to his or her long-term career aims.
- Student’s shortlisted for interviews will be contacted by the London College of Fashion Graduate office, shortly after the application deadline. Please note that they will be contacting successful applicants only.
Please send your FULLY COMPLETED application to:
Scholarships & Bursaries Student Funding Service Team
University of the Arts London
272 High Holborn
Deadline: All applications must be received by 12pm (midday) FridayMay 16, 2014
- There is only one closing date for applications each year. We are unable to accept applications that arrive late.
- Applications sent by fax or e-mail, or incomplete applications, will not be accepted.
- The outcome of your application All applicants will be informed officially of the decision in writing by the end of June 2014.
- A letter will be sent to the correspondence address on the application form. You must inform them in writing if your address changes or provide us with an alternative address so that they can contact you at the correct address.